Walk the dog walk the ducks?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Quacking Mad, Aug 16, 2014.

1. Quacking Mad

Quacking Mad New Egg

Jul 1, 2014
    Massachusetts
    So I decided to get ducks a few months back and I absolutely love them. They free range during the day. Well lately when I take the dog for a walk they chase us down the road and then I have to get my husband to keep them corralled in the yard until we are out of sight. If they followed us and decided not to stay With us for the remainder of our walk do you think they would head home?

2. veronicasmom

veronicasmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2009
    They may head home, but you would be taking a chance in my opinion. There are too many issues that could arise with them being on the road. Traffic, other animals coming after them, one wandering off and getting lost are a few things that come to mind.
    I would err on the side of caution and keep them home while you walk the dog, it is safer for them.
    But I bet it is cute to see that!!!!!!

3. Quacking Mad

Quacking Mad New Egg

Jul 1, 2014
    Massachusetts
    It's the cutest thing ever!

4. sunnyfishy

sunnyfishy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2014
    I have been considering duck leashes for this same reason. A couple of our ducklings (now grown) are very into following the dogs, and I keep thinking it would be sooooooooooo cute to see them waddle after my dogs on a walk. I also wanted harnesses so we could potentially take them to the local lakes, but the logistics of that seemed far more difficult.

Duck leashes or bust, I'd say! Does anyone know how well they'll get used to a harness or leash if they're older than a few months?

5. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    I would try a duck harness or leash. Most people who make them can make them in all sizes. Some ducks are fine with them, some aren't.

I agree, there are a lot of risks with letting the ducks near the road because they don't always have "common sense" when it comes to vehicles.

6. Amykins

Amykins Overrun With Chickens

May 11, 2013
    I think you should totally walk the ducks with the dog! :p How many do you have? If you have more than 4 or 5 then yeah, having aaalllll those leashes may be a bit cumbersome (not to mention the potential tangle factor!). But if it's less than that I say go for it.

7. DeckDuck

DeckDuck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2013
    Quote:
    I didn't get a harness for my drake until he was fully grown and he didn't take to it well. I had to work with him a lot to get him to tolerate his harness and leash, but he does understand how to walk on a leash now and give to pressure. The giving to pressure thing seems to come naturally to animals like dogs and horses but my birds have always had a tough time figuring it out. He's still always a little nervous when he's wearing it but that's probably just because I didn't start training him to wear one when he was a duckling. It sure is adorable! You'll get a lot of attention if you take a duck on a leash out in public.

I haven't tried it personally, but I'd bet that starting them as young as possible with the harnesses would be the best way to do it.

I actually just posted a video of my drake Casper on his leash a second ago. Maybe I'll go put a link in my signature. ;)

OP, congrats on your new ducks! I also take my ducks for walks on the farm without leashes or anything to hold them back. It has been my experience that a duck will only follow their people so far and then they'll book it back to their home if you don't have a way to keep them with you. They can go surprisingly fast when they want to! I use it as a way to exercise my drake because I can carry him down a long hill and then let him run back up on his own. You have to be careful though, because they escape easily when they're doing that and the fast movement attracts predators. I wouldn't try it near traffic.

8. Quacking Mad

Quacking Mad New Egg

Jul 1, 2014
    Massachusetts
    I have 7 they will eat put of my hand and sit next to me but they don't like to be picked up and I think it would be an epic battle to try and put a harness and a leash on

9. sunnyfishy

sunnyfishy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2014
    We have two smaller mallard mixes I've wanted to try it with. Maybe I'll try a pekin since our little guys are still only about 2 months old. I bet at least 1 of them would tolerate it better than the rest. Thanks for the input--I'd love to see the vid

10. Quacking Mad

Quacking Mad New Egg

Jul 1, 2014
    Massachusetts
    Maybe I could try it with a couple. I'm not sure how that would go they don't like to be separated.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by