Walk through GATE spraying my watchDog with pepper spray

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Bedste, Dec 17, 2009.

1. Bedste

Bedste Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    Cut n Shoot Texas
    If I have a watch dog.... who guards my property.... but once a month a different meter reader from Entergy just walks through the gate...... spraying my German Shepherd with pepper spray or threatening to. Why do I have watch dog? Shouldnt' they call first or honk first? Why do they legally have the right to just walk on in and do whatever necessary to desensitize your guard dog so that your guard dog no longer cares if strangers walk on your property or not? What in the world...... this is so wrong on so many levels.....

2. 1mommahen

1mommahen Love My Cluckin' Coop

Mar 20, 2008
    NJ
    put some goggles on that dog next month! [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 17, 2009
  3. SarahFair

SarahFair Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2008
    Monroe, Ga
    If the meter is on county or city property (I think they legally own like the first 30 feet from the road) I could see them having the right [​IMG]

4. Bedste

Aug 17, 2009
    Cut n Shoot Texas
    the meter is on my house....... my house sits on an acre with a 4 ft fence all around it and a german shepherd "guarding" the property. I have not actually measured how many feet from the house to the road.

5. Camelot Farms

Camelot Farms Chickenista

Can you call the Utility Co and ask them their policy. Some companies all you to call in the meter read so they dont have to come out.

Poor doggie!

6. SarahFair

SarahFair Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2008
    Monroe, Ga
    Ohh yes. My water meter is at the road and my electric one is on the house (350 feet from the road).
    I think they have installed something that sends thems the reading from the meters to the place cause I dont ever get anyone out here anymore.

I dont think they would have put your house on county property though.
    I dont know what to tell you..

7. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    I'd call your ombudsman. They should be notifying you of the day they come by so you can make other arrangements for your dog, or they should be doing a remote reading. If someone did that to my dog, I'd lock the gate and electrify the fence.

8. Equus5O

Equus5O Chillin' With My Peeps

They can access your property at will to check your meter. The meter is their property. They can also defend themselves as necessary.

I don't think spraying your dog immediately upon entry is necessary. Maybe the meter reader is paranoid.

Perhaps you can speak with a representative of the company and ask to make arrangements for notification prior to the arrival of the reader. Indicate the reason for your request. I would imagine that they can flag your account for a special request, monthly (not that you should request the notification monthly. You should be able to request it once, and have the account flagged). That way you can put the dog up before the reader gets there.

9. Bedste

Aug 17, 2009
    Cut n Shoot Texas
    I have tried.... and they say exactly that....... it is their right to protect themselves and they do not give notice. I will call again today after I have calmed down. They are teaching my dog NOT to protect my house..

10. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    I had some problems with that, even though the meter is outside the dog yard! Numerous calls did no good. But I did notice that the next meter reading date is in tiny print on the bill. Now I make note of that and keep my dogs in on that day. Not ideal. but it does protect my pups.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by