Walking funny

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by tpantali, Oct 29, 2008.

1. tpantali

tpantali Out Of The Brooder

May 16, 2007
    Finger Lakes New York
    We have a hen who is just over a year old who has been in perfect health. Two days ago she began walking around with her body very low down, almost touching the ground. We have never seen her do this before. We are concerned that there maybe something wrong with her but have no clue what to look for.

We have seen her eat and drink as normal as well as maintain normal everyday behavior such as being out in the yard, wondering around, eating and even running (which she does in the normal, fully upright way). Nothing that we have witnessed is out of the ordinary for her aside from her walking.

We appreciate any suggestions.

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Have you checked to see if she is egg bound...I really have no idea, just a thought.

3. Attack Chicken

Attack Chicken [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    My one pullet does that every so often after dust/dirt bathing. I know she isn't egg bound because she gives me an egg everyday. Has your hen laid yet?And you might want to post in the diseases/cures section Some people might be able to help you better there.

4. tpantali

May 16, 2007
    Finger Lakes New York
    How does one check to see if a hen is egg bound?

5. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Here's the first challenge in that: pick her up. [​IMG] Then feel underneather her back behind her breast bone. If she is egg bound you can feel the egg stuck in there.

6. tpantali

May 16, 2007
    Finger Lakes New York
    She does not appear to be egg bound. She is now losing her feathers in a funny looking way, around her head and on one of her sides but it looks like they are coming back in so maybe it is a molt but it does not look like the molt she had last year. Not really sure how to explain it, I will try to get picture up a little later.

I am trying not to worry about her as she is walking, running, eating and drinking but it is hard not to worry:)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by