1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

walking on foot that is bent in half

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mama dixie, Dec 20, 2011.

1. mama dixie

mama dixie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2011
    so i have had to put down one chicken that had an eye infection. it just got to bad. we tried a lot of stuff, tylan and such. now I have a large Cochin that is dear to us and she is walking on her foot that is bent over and walking on the top of it. she is eating a bit and drinking but does not want to be social at all. we have put her on tylan and isolated her, she is just not getting better as fast as I would like but she is not getting worse, what to do......... anyone..... she was vaccinated for meriks so I am just so confused... I have 30 birds and every time one sneezes, and it is not often maybe only when eating one or two will sneze a day, I am jumping and looking it over like mad. I know it is not unusual to lose a hen or two over winter but I just want to be sure I am doing all I can. I am kinda weird I love our birds they are not just for eggs but part of our life out here. yes I know they are farm animals and we would eat them if times got really bad for us, but that does not mean I don't care about them and want them to have the best life possible. ok truth I would eat alot of beans and rice before them....

any one know anything else I can do to help our chicken that is walking on the top of a bent over foot..

2. GoldenSparrow

GoldenSparrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    can you post a picture?

3. GreenMeadows

GreenMeadows Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2011
    I had a cochin I hatched 18 months ago and when she was 2 months I stepped on her foot and it broke. I wrapped it but it never got better. She wanted to live and was not in pain and is still alive. She walks on the top of the ankle area because the foot currled and froze that way so she learned to walk a different way. She has raised several batches of chicks and is a great layer. If its only the foot issue she does not need tylan or anything else. If its broken it could be wrapped but if you have other issues like an infection then you would want durimyician or an antibotic not tylan. thats more for respitory. Good luck!
    Quote:

4. mama dixie

Aug 11, 2011
    I will get a picture when I go over to feed and check her again tonight. she was so bad today she had all kinds of yellow horrid smelling poo stuck to her and she will not even eat scrambled egg now. I am wondering is she has scaly leg mits. her leg just looks horrid to me. I gave her a bath and will smear her leg with vasaline or cooking oil really good tonight. I thought it looked like she had a yeast infection on her leg, kinda cakiey and stuff. I just dont know, as I have said I have tried the tylan, wormed her and now treating for coxi, and she is just not getting better. she does not want to eat or drink and I am hoping cleaing her up will lift her spirts. by the way she hats baths but she needed it. I know it is bad to stress them when they are sick but it was so bad it was gaging me so I had to do something. she did it a baby worm. hubby is stoping on his way home to get her a box of night crawlers... she is such a good bird sad to see her so sick, I am asking for advice and positive prayers and thoughts for rounder she is sweety and only 3 years.

5. mama dixie

Aug 11, 2011
    hello I tried to pm you but your box is full golden sparo...

6. GoldenSparrow

GoldenSparrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    sorry its not full any more [​IMG]

7. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    Mama Dixie,

All animals are very resilient when it comes to survival. The become gimps in some ways like "GreenMeadows" mention his bird lived and continued a productive life. I think you need to separate your girl like you did and nurse her back to health and then carefully introduce her back to the flock she came from so she is not beat up when put back. You are on the right path but it's just not happening as fast as you would like it. You will know when she is ready bc she will be so feisty and start to get crazy and a bit uncontrollable being separated and alone and will ready to go back to her family of birds.

8. mama dixie

Aug 11, 2011
    rounder is eating some worms now and some other stuff. she must be drinking as her water keeps getting dirty but I dont see her drink.. her leg is still behind her funny. hubby is home today and I will get him to help me get a good picture to post. what is causing the icky poo. it is so stinky and sticky it is odd...

9. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    When animals have icky poop it caused by 2 things. #1 what its eating. The foods need to bland with no treats just their basic foods and #2 this illness is causing it bc they are sick and the digestive tract from the illness is responding to whats going on.

10. mama dixie

Aug 11, 2011
    rounder passed away sometime in the night. When I went to feed her she was in a sleeping potion with her head under her wing. it has been hard she was such a good girl. I am very concerned this is something contagiousness. I have now lost two chickens this winter. we started with 35 birds and now are down to 30 because we sold a few and now two have passed away. I am worried it will spread what is the best thing to do to stop a diereses... I do not know what kind it is and we have frozen the body so I am thinking we can not do an autopsy does anyone know if we still can and were I would take it if we need to have one done...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by