Walking on "tippy toes"

chickgrl

In the Brooder
6 Years
May 29, 2013
Mesa Az.
Hello,
I was given 6 adult barred rock hens, one of them is walking on what seems like tippy toes. She won't stand for very long, perches on top of one of the nest boxes or behind it in the sand. During yard time she has come out but the other girls chase her off and I end up carrying her back to the coop. She is drinking water and I keep a tray of food close to her.
I have looked at her feet, I seen one spot that might look like what was a blister.
I've read possible bumblefoot or mareks?
She is beautiful, her comb is a little messed up because one of the others will sit on her and peck.
Thanks for any advice you all can give

Here are several photos of her feet. I hope they help
Thanks

I've been searching for this very problem and not finding anything. My 5-6 month old Cuckoo Maran was fine one day and then the next she was hiding under the nest boxes when I found her. Picked her up and she couldn't stand. This was about 4 weeks ago now. I have kept her in a cage on the coop porch so she can be with the other girls and they won't pick on her. She is healthy looking, eats and drinks even is laying her little egg now. She has started to stand just a little bit now, not for long. She will just sit down. I have tried to feel around to see if anything is broken, no swollen legs. I'm thinking now it is both legs. She won't put those feet down flat like they should be.

Anyone have any ideas??

Thanks,
Sandy

The same exact thing happened to my Cuckoo Maran this past weekend. Did you find out wants wrong with her?

I've been searching for this very problem and not finding anything. My 5-6 month old Cuckoo Maran was fine one day and then the next she was hiding under the nest boxes when I found her. Picked her up and she couldn't stand. This was about 4 weeks ago now. I have kept her in a cage on the coop porch so she can be with the other girls and they won't pick on her. She is healthy looking, eats and drinks even is laying her little egg now. She has started to stand just a little bit now, not for long. She will just sit down. I have tried to feel around to see if anything is broken, no swollen legs. I'm thinking now it is both legs. She won't put those feet down flat like they should be.

Anyone have any ideas??

Thanks,
Sandy

Anyone have any ideas??

Thanks,
Sandy
The same exact thing happened to my Cuckoo Maran this past weekend. Did you find out wants wrong with her?

Sorry to say I didn't. Kept her separated from the other girls for a week, longer maybe if I remember correctly. Then I took her to the vet to be put to sleep. She didn't seem to get any better. I will not buy that breed again, especially hearing you had the same problem. I do have Black Marans, twice now, and they are fine. Somewhere, I think I believe I read those symptoms could be caused by something other than Merricks.

I looked at your pictures. She looks just like my chicken. I keep checking the bottoms of her feet looking for bumblefoot. Her feet look and feel fine. Initially I thought she was injured but I don't see anything wrong with her at all. She's alert, lovable and eating. It's so strange. She's not walking on the pads of her feet and she's doing this with both feet.

Thanks for replying
Michelle

So sorry Michelle, hopefully it is something else. One thing you could try, is the baby vitamins. I read somewhere about a vitamin deficiency. Wouldn't hurt. One time one of my Easter Eggers was acting strange, looking up at the ceiling constantly. I google it and they said it was called star gazing and it was caused by a vitamin deficiency and to give the liquid baby vitamins. Next day she was fine. You will know if it is Merricks, cause she will get worse, like laying on her side, less balance.

Back
Top Bottom