walking sideways

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickensista, Nov 13, 2008.

1. chickensista

chickensista Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2008
    CT
    I have a 1 1/2 yr old black sex link that started walking sideways today. Crossing her legs - like she's drunk. She was trying to eat and walk around, but finally got frustrated and found a place to stand.

She's now quarantined in the garage. She ate some BOSS and crumble (her crop was small) I gave her a couple drops of poly vi sol and made sure she drank some water (with avia charge 2000)

A little more history: About 2 weeks ago I quarantined her because she was isolated and not doing normal chicky things. She had tiny poops and seemed to be straining. I checked the shoot and didn't feel anything. After a couple of days of tlc she seemed completely fine. Back out with the girls.

2 days ago she started a hard molt - feathers everywhere.

She has a vet appt tomorrow. I was reading a lot of archives and found a post re. moulting. I'm guessing this would be best case scenario - but can a hard moult cause this?

Any other thoughts?

Thank you,
    T

2. hankshens

hankshens Out Of The Brooder

Feb 17, 2008
    TN
    Mine did that when they got a little cold/ear infection. Keep us posted on what the vet says

3. chickensista

Feb 23, 2008
    CT
    Thank you for the reply.

She doesn't have any cold symptoms - maybe that doesnt rule out an ear problem.

I'm going to make her a nice breakfast today with lots of protein. I hope the vet can help and I'm not tossing $$. I was lucky enough to find a vet that has chickens, so I'm lucky there.

4. doodledo

doodledo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Dont mean to jump on your post. But my turkin is doing the samething. Acts like she is drunk, she is eating fine. It is getting cold here. So I am not sure if its an ear infection or lacking protein from moulting. (this is what I have found from doing a search). But what do you do for this? I seen where someone said put on chickstarter? Maybe give Vit e? Not sure what to do, I feel bad for her.

5. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    Keep us updated on what the vet says !!

6. Jenski

Jenski Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2008
    Middle Tennessee
    Although the "drunk walk" could be caused by other things, weakness in the legs seems to also be symptomatic of heavy molt. You might check out this recent thread ~

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=99785

My hen is stronger now, and her feathers are growing back. Good luck with yours!

7. doodledo

Jun 4, 2007
    My turkin does look like she is loosing her feathers kinda fast. Her butt is about bare.
    How do you check for parasites? Where are their ears?:eek:

8. chickensista

Feb 23, 2008
    CT
    Hi all,
    Well we are back from the vet. She said it looks like something neurological, but can't be sure with out a necropsy. She didn't think a molt would cause this in a healthy bird. Most likely there is something else going on (tumor, egg issues, parasites, etc) and the combination took its toll.

I was mostly concerned it could be something infectious. She put my mind at ease there - she believes its just something this bird is dealing with. She also made the point that with hatchery birds anything is possible - especially sex links. Waiting for fecal results.

For now she'll stay isolated in the garage. She's recieved poly-vi-sol and has avia charge 2000 in her water. I've been offering her all sorts of treats so she'll eat (her crop remains small and she is only peckish at her crumbles) BOSS and superworms are big winners, but also offering yogurt, eggs, oatmeal.

Jenski - thank you for the link to your thread. Hadn't found it during my searches.

doodledo - do a search for mites. you'll find better info than I can give you on how to identify mites and lice. Your turkin could be losing feathers due to molting, mites, or another bird is plucking her feathers. Offer her extra protein: dry cat food, yogurt, cooked eggs, black oil sunflower seeds, bugs if available. Good luck!

If my girl doesn't make it I may have the necropsy done.

Thanks for the support!

9. doodledo

Jun 4, 2007
    Glad your report is good. My bird seemto be a bit better. Gave peanut butter yesterday and b.o. seeds. Today I will try cheese and something else I am sure. Why didnt I have another kid????[​IMG]

10. chickensista

Feb 23, 2008
    CT
    Hi doodledo,
    Glad ur turkin is doing better. My girl doesn't seem to be getting better. I'll give her extra tlc for a few more days, but then it becomes a quality of life issue.

BTW, I think a chicken in the garage is waaayyy less work than another kid. LOL You must have an angel(s) [​IMG]

T

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by