Walking/Standing issue. 7y/o female Cayuga

Dar492

In the Brooder
Sep 28, 2019
Hi All,

Intro:
I have 4 Cayuga ducks that are all 7 years old, 2 Male 2 females. They are all very healthy and whenever they have a health issue, they are inspected addressed immediately and if it seems urgent they are taken to a vet. Only the females have gone. One for issues with eggs not being laid properly and one for bumble foot. These were both resolved years ago and have not come up since. Only one of the female ducks lays eggs anymore, they are soft and rubbery, often break open after laying. ***The female that we are worried about hasn't laid eggs for a few years, so it's probably not that.***

***New issue:
This morning one of the females would not walk or stand up. She is acting completely normal, she will eat snacks (lettuce tomatos) drink water. When I pick her up she will paddle her legs but when I try to have her put pressure on her legs, she slowly goes into a sitting position. It is obvious to me that she is in not in serious pain. The only moving she will do with her legs is sort of a crawl. I checked her feet and they do not have any abnormal cuts or infections (I've dealt with these issues with my ducks as well and I would say it's probably not this).
One thing to note is that the 2 males get more aggressive jumping on her back to "mate" with her. She gets it much more than the other female, but she is also slightly bigger than the other female.
Is it possible that she is deficient in vitamins (niacin or is this only an issue for ducklings)?
Could her hips be injured from the boys?
Does she just need time and space to rest?
Any other ideas?

She is separated from the other ducks with some food, water and a pool right nearby.

If you need any other info to help give some better advice, I will do my best to answer questions.

Thanks,
Dan

Last edited:
She is the white duck, Her name is Molly. I just put her in there "house deck area" with some straw and water/food/pool

Attachments

• 20190928_121802.jpg
    20190928_121802.jpg
    648.2 KB · Views: 10
  • 1569687856712189283341430531579.jpg
    1569687856712189283341430531579.jpg
    568.3 KB · Views: 10
  • 15696881922174290767286692931297.jpg
    15696881922174290767286692931297.jpg
    597.1 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
This is the food that they currently have been eating. They dont eat as much during this time of the year as they eat a lot of bugs. And get lettuce and tomatoes every day.

Attachments

• 15696887396377837982653720656724.jpg
    15696887396377837982653720656724.jpg
    280.8 KB · Views: 11
I’d def keep her separated from the drakes. Possibly they have injured her back from over mating. Also separated the other female in with her if they go after her. Give her some time to rest along with some liquid b complex for leg support. If possible. Put it over a small amount of treats so she gets full dose. 1-2 ml per day maybe morn an eve. If after a week she isn’t better and you can you might want to get her into a vet. They may need to take an X-ray and examine to determine what is wrong. Also water therapy place her in an get her out see how she does moving her legs in the water. Plus it takes pressure off her legs an back.

We can give her the B-3 through a syringe down her throat. Figured it wouldn't hurt anyways to give it to her. Do you know where you can get the B-3 or B-3 complex and how much/concentration that should be given?

I guess it could be her back but she doesnt act as though she is in any pain at all, she just doesnt want to put weight/pressure on her legs.

Thanks for the response.

E365A67C-D496-44F2-935D-FB33117563C2.jpeg
They def don’t show pain like us humans being prey they risk death if showing any sign of sickness or injury. And can be near dead before we can tell there’s anything wrong with them. Hopefully with rest good feed and Bcomplex for support she begin to feel better. Having her rest with water therapy gives an injury time to heal. Best b complex is TSC in the cattle dept it will say injectable but just peel off the foil use the needless syringe draw out 1 ml down the throat. That’s the way I give it too most are more comfortable using it over treats.

View attachment 1920306 They def don’t show pain like us humans being prey they risk death if showing any sign of sickness or injury. And can be near dead before we can tell there’s anything wrong with them. Hopefully with rest good feed and Bcomplex for support she begin to feel better. Having her rest with water therapy gives an injury time to heal. Best b complex is TSC in the cattle dept it will say injectable but just peel off the foil use the needless syringe draw out 1 ml down the throat. That’s the way I give it too most are more comfortable using it over treats.

Thanks, we are gonna pick this up today and see how she is doing by Monday/Tuesday. If there is no progress, we are going to get her looked at.

And with the showing pain, for sure they are different. Which is why we try to act immediately if anything seems out of the ordinary. We love our ducks and want them to be happy and healthy. I spend at least an hour with them every day, so they are important to me.

Back
Top Bottom