Walking the... uh... Chicken?

Lord_Cluckers

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jun 19, 2009
Dallas
Hi. I'm trying to find a system to train my chickens to follow me when on a cat harness, but so far I have had no luck. Can anyone help me?

Last edited:
Moodene here on BYC makes chicken saddles that she will attach a D-ring to it. Then, you can hook a leash to it and take your chicken for a walk. They work great!

Thank you, TaLani. I just got my paycheck, so if I have any after buying something, I might get one. But the second post has me worrying if it's too late to train my chickens. They were all born on about the same day, January 27. Is it too late now to train them?
hu.gif

Quote:
Lol. I can just see that.
gig.gif
I would do that if my chickens actually had a sense of balance... well... at least a better sense of balance.

Emzyyy, I'd love to see pics of that!
big_smile.png
How cute!

Lord_Cluckers, I honestly don't know re training. I only got the saddles due to our roo having his fav hens & their feathers not being able to grow back. I had Moodene put a few of the D-rings put on for my daughter when she wanted to walk a few of her fav hens around our property.

All you can do is try I suppose. Let the hen get used to the saddle first though b4 trying to walk them. Our EE hen tried desperately to get hers off & started walking backwards. One of the funniest things I've seen in awhile, that's for sure! She got used to it after a few minutes once she realized that she wasn't going to be able to get it to come off.

The saddles aren't very expensive and actually, there's several BYC'ers who make them. You can do a search in the Buy-Sell-Trade section of the forum.
smile.png

Ok. I got a harness, but there are a few problems.

1. The neck band is always too loose on them and I tightened it all the way.
2. The chicken seems more interested in her harness than the bread on a string I dangle in front of her.
3. My chicken always goes her own way, which I don't mind, but then just sits and does nothing.

Anything I might be doing wrong?

Back
Top Bottom