walks with stiff legs

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by pennyobrecht, Nov 21, 2010.

1. pennyobrecht

pennyobrecht Just Hatched

Nov 21, 2010
    I have a duck that has had stiff legs as long as I can remember. As he walks his legs go straight out and seems to walk on his toes. Lately he is loosing his balance or he is leaning to one side and puts a wing out to hold himself up. this seems to get worse everyday. What do I need to do?

2. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

It sounds like this something chronic. I would add vitamins and minerals to his drinking water just to strengthen and support him. Niacin is very important too. It is in most of the poultry supplements you can buy. You can also get niacin (Vitamin B3) tablets at Walmart and mix 100mg per 1 gallon of drinking water. I would try this route and hope that it helps.

3. linda_zeagler31002

linda_zeagler31002 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2010
    Adrian, Georgia
    Now this is my personal experience, might or might not work, worm that duck, I had a couple doing that, and was looking at there feet, legs, and everything else but inside the duck , I knew I didn't have a genetic flaw in my flock, this was Jumbo Pekin, and a neighbor told me to worm these two drakes, and it cured mine, Good luck.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2010
  4. pennyobrecht

Nov 21, 2010
    thanks, I'll try these today. I hate to loose this little guy.

5. duckluck

duckluck Dulcimyrh Ducks

Oct 22, 2009
    Illinois
    Quote:What wormer worked for this? Now you've got me curious...

6. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    Quote:What wormer worked for this? Now you've got me curious...

Me as well, I haven't had this happen, but I always like to have information like this just in case.
    Was it Ivermectin that you used for the ducks?

7. pennyobrecht

Nov 21, 2010
    I can't remember the name of the dewormer, our farm is 8 miles away but I will check later. The dewormer didn't seem to work, I wanted to see immediate results,I'm looking for a different one now. The duck is now using both of his wings to balance and seems to lay to one side. I going for flock raiser today, niacin and yogart plus vitamins and minerals if I can find some. I don't know what else to do, I've really grown to love this guy( don't know if its male or female ). I have chickens too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by