1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Walkswithdog - My sizzle roo just frustrates me! Added current pics

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by pbjmaker, Oct 20, 2009.

1. pbjmaker

pbjmaker Overrun With Chickens

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    I don't know if you remember the picture of my little smooth black sizzle seen here:

[​IMG]

Well his crest has gotten bigger and he is a beautiful solid black - very exciting until...

I was fluffing through his neck today and there are RED feathers coming in!!!!!!!!

And this pretty silver one (still unsexed)
    [​IMG]

now has red on his/her wings and chest!

I need to just get a good BBS roo from someone that doesn't have red in their birds. None of my females are showing any red, they are all solid black so far.

I'll try to get updated pictures later - the son has my camera at school today.

Just thought I'd vent.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2009
  2. walkswithdog

walkswithdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    You could go with a generation of blue or black silkie roos to avoid the problem. It can be really frustrating if it's NOT what you want.

On the other hand my black birchen smooth boy is indeed producing black birchen chicks. Silver but I figured that since he bred to a Delaware - they're silver based.
    Essentially gypsy faced, black birchen delawares with dark legs. Chuckle.

And I'm half a step closer to my black and blue birchen sizzles.

The red has driven Sarah nuts for years. For her they're [​IMG] [​IMG] lemons too. For me they're lemonade. [​IMG]

Now I have bbs silkies, bantam black birchen cochins and a black birchen male sizzle - I am on a roll. We is gonna Frizzle and Sizzle and rock and roll [​IMG]

He's a looker PBJ maybe you should give in, fall to the dark side and make Lemonade.

I will probably have a spare Blue BBS Silkie roo from the batch I'm raising if you want to go that route.

3. pbjmaker

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    Here is some pics from today - you would not know that this guy has any red coming in - I was so surprised.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is what the silver one looks like now. They were both hatched around August 6th.

[​IMG]

4. walkswithdog

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    Somebody needs to remind him to grow a topknot. LOL. The red is quite pronounced on the blue one, but I don't know that that's a birchen pattern. Looks like a bird just bleeding red. And they're the devil to get out of program, says Sarah. I lucked out, my only bird with red is birchen.

5. pbjmaker

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    I can't seem to get a boy with a good topknot. [​IMG]

I will probably rehome both of these "chicks"

6. walkswithdog

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    Go to silkie for the next cross then. Find one with one wild huge crest. The big black male from my hatch looks good already, and one of the blues for crest improvement. The other is so middle ground I'm wondering if he's a she... I hate waiting for silkies to decide what sex they are.

And yeah, it can get mighty frustrating.

7. pbjmaker

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    But won't I just get silkie feathered birds then? Or mostly silkie feathered? The two girls I have are 3/4 silkie but just happened to end up with hard feathers. I do have a blue silkie - I think roo that is coming up. But he has red on his neck also. It is very faint but there. He does have a decent top knot - nothing great but OK. My black Sizzle girl has an AWESOME topknot, but is NN.

OK just made my head swim. I need to get rid of about 10 birds - so these two will probably need to go for sure as they won't add much to "the plan".

8. Mary Of Exeter

Mary Of Exeter Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Rowan County, NC
    Just wanted to pop in and say those are two cute little guys! [​IMG] Also, lets hope they were hatched on Aug. 6th so they can share my birthday! [​IMG]

9. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    To be silkie feathered, they must carry hh. THere is no way to tell a bird who is HH from one who is Hh, so even though the bird is 3/4 silkie, he could still be HH.

(F1s are half silkie and are all Hh; F2s are 3/4 silkie, but only 25% of the F2s are hh; 50% are Hh, and 25% are HH)

Last edited: Oct 20, 2009
  10. jimnjay

jimnjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Bryant Alabama
    I thought I would pop in here and update some of you on the Sizzles here this year. I had some eggs from my previous flock hatch and I also had some of Sarah's eggs. I weeded out what I did not like. I made an originial cross this year, using my Frizzled Cochin and a nice Silkie hen. Crests were very small on all but one from that cross. I also used a Silkie Roo on the Frizzled girls from both Sarah's and my line. I have not had a Frizzled Silkie hatch this year.

Crests are coming in very well in the group where I used the Silkie roo.

I have heard breeders say on more than one occasion, build the house first then paint it. With your Sizzles, you need to concentrate on type. Use the Silkies up front to get the type and then proceed to work on colors. If your roos are showing red in the hackles, you will most likely not see that in any of the hen. It will continue to appear in the males. You will need to find a good adult male that has clear hackles and proceed. I had red in my original line and I was able to hatch out a boy that did not display the red but his offspring did have the color pop up. It is very frustrating and I wish you well in finding a male that will not produce the color.

I will try to get some new photos to post.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by