Wall and floor protection

CountryBoy79

Chirping
6 Years
Jul 7, 2013
Gardners,Pa
I recently was given a shed that was used as a construction site office, and was going to convert it into a coop. It is set up on 6x6s and the base is fully enclosed. The inside is all drywall and had heavy oak planks for the floor. I was thinking of putting FRP sheets, fiber reinforced plastic, on the walls and floors to make it easier to clean and protect the floor and drywall. Anyone have thoughts or suggestions on this? Anyone else use this? I've installed it in butcher shops and resteraunts and it seems to make them easier to clean and protects the walls.

I think any kind of plastic works great. Most people just put linoleum tiles. I also use a shed as my coop but its a big plastic one that I have to insulate in the winter.

I was worried that the drywall might attract moisture and make it damp inside the coop and rot the walls and floor

Last edited:
I left my coop walls open, it is constructed from pallets.. I would think that for the wall applications you would be good with the frp on the walls... You may want to trim the dry wall 6-8" from the floor and replace with a treated board, and leave an air gap between that and the drywall.. If you are expecting large amounts of moisture.. Depending on how you manage your waste, sand and scoop frequently or deep litter.. my deep litter over the winter had some moisture around the edges..

Frp is commonly used in restaurant kitchens and bathrooms where they tend to get a lot of moisture, but they usually seal the gaps pretty well.

Hope it helps.

I left my coop walls open, it is constructed from pallets..   I would think that for the wall applications you would be good with the frp on the walls... You may want to trim the dry wall 6-8" from the floor and replace with a treated board, and leave an air gap between that and the drywall..  If you are expecting large amounts of moisture..  Depending on how you manage your waste, sand and scoop frequently or deep litter..   my deep litter over the winter had some moisture around the edges..

Frp is commonly used in restaurant kitchens and bathrooms where they tend to get a lot of moisture, but they usually seal the gaps pretty well.

Hope it helps.

I've installed FRP in lots of resteraunts and butcher shops so I thought it would be a good idea to use. As far as ventilation I was planning on cutting the front and back wall down maybe 6" below the roof line and installing hinges so I could adjust the air flow. There is also a cut out in the side wall for an ac. I think an exhaust fan will fit in that to help with venting. Do you need vents in the bottom and top of the coop?

My husband and I starting on our new coop and have considered using plexi-glass on the walls and floor. my concern is that I'll walk in the coop one day with my feet wet and end up on my back
barnie.gif
. so for now I think we'll use something else, just not sure what is easy to clean, but not to slick. I will be interested to hear how it works out for you.

Back
Top Bottom