Wall-mounted feeders?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by sovia, Apr 25, 2008.

1. sovia

sovia Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2008
    Black Hills of SD
    I will have 20 hens in our coop/run and am considering placing wall-mounted feeders both inside and outside the coop. The reason for inside is to open up floor space. The reason for outside is to use the roof overhang to protect the feed a little more. I have noticed that most people prefer the hanging tube type. Is there something more that I should be considering? Thanks.

2. sBrickmanHouse

sBrickmanHouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2008
    I'm a newbie chicken owner, so I'm not sure if there's something I don't know about or am not considering, but we have wall-mounted feeders in our coop and we love them!

They do save floor space, can't be tipped over, can't really be roosted on, are open at the top for easy filling. . . we haven't found a down side to them yet.

I truly don't understand why more people don't use them.

3. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    Mine is wall mounted, I think the hanging feeder is what is sold most, so that is what most go with.

4. Dilly

Dilly Cooped Up

Apr 15, 2008
    Quote:Hi could you post some pics of the inside of your coop or feeder really to show the design. Thanks

5. sBrickmanHouse

sBrickmanHouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2008
    Sure! Here's a pic from a couple of months ago, when the girls were still really little. They weren't filled yet (we were still using the chick feeders) but it gives you a good idea of the set-up.

We have 23 birds, and we keep them both filled. We don't have to worry about refilling them probably more than once a week or so.

The more we use them, the more we like them!

[​IMG]

6. Flufnstuffs~FluffySilkies

Flufnstuffs~FluffySilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    NY
    Has any one considered screwing Plastic/Metal rain gutters alon the inside wall????

I have long Plastic feeders screwed to the wall and I LOVE them I just take a big scoop of food and spread it along the whole thing and all the birds come running and line upin a row and they all eat at the same time.

You can not get what I have any more but the plastic gutters should work just as well.

7. antiquebuff

antiquebuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Franklin, NC
    Oh, the rain gutters are such a good idea. I will do that tomorrow! Thanks, I get such good ideas on this site!

8. talos321

talos321 Chillin' With My Peeps

That's a good idea Fluffnstuff. I have a piece of rain gutter just need to get end pieces

9. hale moa

hale moa Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2008
    big island hawaii
    hmmmm i thought of the plastic gutter have a piece here... but how do you keep them out of it??? i split a piece of bamboo lenghtwise and attached to wall, i thought it would be impossible to stand (and poop) in as it only sticks out 4 inches... i was wrong:mad:

10. Dilly

Dilly Cooped Up

Apr 15, 2008
    I love the look of the metal wall mounted feeders.
    My concern is how hard is it to remove and clean?

Dilly

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by