walmart eggs......and the relationship of bird color and egg color.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Farm_Maven, Oct 9, 2011.

1. Farm_Maven

Farm_Maven Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2011
    Tishomingo
    I guess wal-mart agrees with foodnetwork!! I just got this from walmart's website about eggs!!

Brown vs. white

The color of the egg’s shell is a reflection of the breed of hen. Breeds with white feathers and ear lobes, such as White Leghorns, lay white eggs. Those with red feathers or ear lobes lay brown eggs.

2. KandiandJerry

KandiandJerry Chillin' With My Peeps

That's interesting....I didn't know this...

3. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Golly then why am I trying to hatch my golden eggs? I should be makin' a fortune instead!!

4. wyododge

wyododge Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2011
    Wyoming
    so I guess there are no chickens with red feathers AND earlobes?

I didn't even know chickens had earlobes... They sure as heck don't use em when I try to call em...

5. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    Wyododge...actually they do....they use the lobes to block the ear canal so that they can't hear you....

6. wrestling_mom

wrestling_mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2011
    Henderson County, NC
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG]

7. Farm_Maven

Farm_Maven Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2011
    Tishomingo
    Quote:It's actually not true. If it were, my BR's would lay zebra striped eggs!! And what would lay green/blue eggs?!
    I was just putting it out there because there was a long discussion about this when the thread about Foodnetwork mag(?) was posted.

8. N&MSchroeder

N&MSchroeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2011
    SE Idaho
    It is always amazing when misinformation is shared! Food Network and Walmart are two examples of companies who should have the resources to make sure the information is accurate. Once these giants put the misinformation out there, it can be accessed by millions of people who may or may not continue its spread [​IMG] which makes me thankful for the information shared (and sometimes corrected [​IMG] ) here on BYC!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by