Walmart scratch?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Tanichca, Dec 9, 2011.

1. Tanichca

Tanichca Sparkle Magnet

May 6, 2009
    Vail, Arizona
    Hello! Little short on time, but how good is the scratch you buy at Walmart for feeding your flock? My sis says it has a lot of junk in it.

2. draye

draye Overrun With Chickens

Nov 30, 2010
    Arkansas
    I've bought it and my chickens ate it betterr than what I got from the farmers co-op.

3. Hot2Pot

Hot2Pot Fox Hollow Rabbitry

Feb 1, 2010
    West TN
    well for one thing it only has 40 lbs instead of 50. But better than nothing if you are out

4. Tanichca

Tanichca Sparkle Magnet

May 6, 2009
    Vail, Arizona
    Just wanted to be sure. Big sis said that that feed had feces and plastic in it [​IMG] but I just need some to get me through the next few weeks, until after the holiday.

5. Clay Mudd

Clay Mudd Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    South MS swamps
    Quote:Well... after all, it is Walmart!

6. BamaSilkies

BamaSilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2011
    NE Alabama
    I dont use scatch as feed only a treat. I use 16% crumbles and 18 or 20% protein pellets whichever I can get every morning and then in the evening before they go up for the night they get a couple of handfuls of scratch. They need the extra calories in the winter to stay warm. As far as Wal-mart goes not sure I would buy feed there. I would buy locally produced feed at co-op. Its been handled less and keeps the money in your community and not sent somewhere else.

7. Tanichca

Tanichca Sparkle Magnet

May 6, 2009
    Vail, Arizona
    Most of the time, I buy from a local family-owned feed store here. But my family doesn't have much money at all right now, and that store sells scratch at $17 as compared to $11 at walmart.
    I feed scratch as feed for a few months a year, have been for years, and I never have anything bad happen. [​IMG]

8. Stephanie739

Stephanie739 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2011
    I thought this would save me $4 but it was more like a waste of $7 [​IMG]

My birds were not too fond of it, but I guess they might have just been used to their usual crumble. I suppose if I would have mixed the scratch with the crumble and gradually fed it to them, I might have had better luck.

9. Stephanie739

Stephanie739 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2011
    Oh for the record, I have no problem with Walmart quality. I might try the scratch again. My kids and I eat Walmart food and don't have any problems. [​IMG]

10. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    Recently Hope broke an egg and found a rice grain sized piece of metal in it. Has anyone else every gotten a foreign object in a egg?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by