Walnut comb on silkie - indicate roo? PHOTOS!!!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Apomerantz, Jun 13, 2010.

1. Apomerantz

Apomerantz Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2010
    Washington
    I have a 7ish week old buff silkie. It is has a walnut comb that is larger then my other chick's combs and is a dark redish/black color. Does this indicate roo? It has a nice little puff of feathers on the head and looks pretty pullet-ish, but the comb is worrying me. It also has a crooked beak, so I wanted to keep it as a pet hen, can't if it is a roo [​IMG]

Amy

Last edited: Jun 14, 2010
  2. Funky Feathers

Funky Feathers former Fattie

Jan 15, 2009
    Maryland
    My Coop
    Sounds like a Roo. Pics??

3. RAWR

RAWR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    who wants to know?
    sound to be a little roo
    my roo, Sage, went threw that
    do post some pix

4. Apomerantz

Apr 26, 2010
    Washington
    I don't have a good picture that you can see the comb in yet, but I will try to take some. I won't be able to keep him if he is a roo. Do people buy silkie roos as pets or therapy chickens? He is a SUCH a sweetheart and because of he crooked beak he wouldn't be a breeding male.
    Amy

5. justmeandtheflock

justmeandtheflock Overrun with ducklings :)

May 27, 2009
    NW NJ
    It sounds like a roo. You can try to rehome him but if he has a cross beak you are probably going to have a hard time finsing someone to take him. Sorry [​IMG]

6. dolly85

dolly85 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2010
  7. Apomerantz

Apr 26, 2010
    Washington
    My chick's comb looks like your roo's comb [​IMG] His head looks so feminine that I thought he was a pullet until the comb developed. I will post a picture later, I have to get to alpaca shearing right now!
    Amy

8. Apomerantz

Apr 26, 2010
    Washington
    Here is a photo of him. What the verdict? Boy?

[​IMG]

Amy

9. Paaz1120

Paaz1120 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    Mesa, AZ
    I'm so soory to say but thats a Boy. [​IMG]

If you look under his lower beak you may even be able to see TINY little wattles coming out.

I would totally take him but I live in Mesa, AZ. I lost my Sweet Little Jay Bird at a young age. He had a crooked beak just like your little boy.

10. Apomerantz

Apr 26, 2010
    Washington
    Shoot! I was so hoping he would be a girl, so I could keep him. I am going to ask around, maybe I can find someone to take him. I live in Seattle area, so it will have to be someone local.
    Amy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by