Walnut-sized lump under vent on Silkie pullet

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by FraggleFlock, Nov 18, 2019.

1. FraggleFlock

FraggleFlock Hatching

Nov 18, 2019
    I decided to bathe my 5 month old Silkie pullet because her vent feathers looked a little dirty. While bathing, I noticed a walnut-sized lump distancing from her bottom. To be clear, her vent is perfectly fine and she is pooping regularly. Poop is moderately well-informed with some urates.

I thought she had a big bump of poo stuck to it, but it didn't budge with soaking and gentle massaging. She doesn't seem to be tender on or around the lump! I dried her off and let her stay inside for the night (since it is cold out). She had no trouble settling down for sleep and waddled right up to the food and water in the morning with the other girls. Should I worry??

Attached Files:

MysteryChicken likes this.
  2. MysteryChicken

MysteryChicken Crowing

May 31, 2018
    East, Tawas Michigan
    @Wyorp Rock what's your opinion? I'm thinking tumor, or possible hernia.

FraggleFlock likes this.
  3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Can you get another clear picture of it when it is dry? Silkie skin is always hard to see well in pictures. Does it feel soft or firm? Has she been laying eggs recently?

Suedan, MysteryChicken and Wyorp Rock like this.
  4. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Enabler

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Welcome To BYC!

I'm sorry, I can't really tell what that is in the photo. Still looks like there's poop encrusted in the feathers to me. :confused:

FraggleFlock and MysteryChicken like this.
  5. FathertoFeathers

FathertoFeathers Songster

Aug 26, 2019
    Tennessee
    Unfortunately cancer and tumors are common in birds especially domesticated ones who have been bred so much. As long as its not bothering her I wouldn't worry about it.

MysteryChicken likes this.
  6. FraggleFlock

FraggleFlock Hatching

Nov 18, 2019
    After a quick vet checkup, it has been determined to be a hernia. She will have surgery next Tuesday to hopefully fix it! Thank you all for your input and responses!

Suedan and Wyorp Rock like this.
  7. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I have seen some of those here on the forum. Most just watch them, but glad that your vet feels like they can help her. Anesthesia is always a bit worrisome with chickens. Let us know how she gets along.

Suedan and Wyorp Rock like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: