1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Walnut x single = ?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by muscovy94, Feb 15, 2012.

1. muscovy94

muscovy94 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2008
    Vicksburg, MS
    I have a silkie mix roo from an OEGB roo and a silkie hen. He has a walnut comb. I plan on breeding him back to my OEGB hens. What kind of comb would the offspring have?

2. muscovy94

muscovy94 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2008
    Vicksburg, MS
    Anyone?

3. Ducks and Banny hens

Ducks and Banny hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 22, 2011
    On a little Farm.
    You will, theoretically get :
    -1/3 Walnut
    -1/3 single
    -1/12 Rose
    -1/12 Pea
    -1/12 V
    -1/12 Buttercup

Practiacally, any one of these percentages may be much higher. Out of them all, the Single-combs, and the Rose and Pea combs will be the only ones with stable genetics -- er, they will be the only ones to breed true.

4. phasianidae

phasianidae Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    I respectfully disagree. The "walnut" comb of the Silkie is only comprised of rose. Some Silkies do have pea in them but not ideally. May I ask where you got that information?

5. phasianidae

Nov 9, 2010
    If he does have both pea and rose in him, you will get 25% of each of the following combtypes: pea, rose, walnut, and single. If he only has rose in him, then you will get 50% rose and 50% single.

6. Ducks and Banny hens

Ducks and Banny hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 22, 2011
    On a little Farm.
    I didn't get that information anywhere -- just genetic calculation. The Silky carries the duplex gene, so it's not easy to tell the difference between Rose and Walnut when the duplex just restricts it all into a ball or point. I always thought that silkies had Double Walnuts, but if not, just forget I said anything about Pea or Walnut in the list I made.

Are you sure the rooster doesn't have a Rosecomb, Muscovy?

7. phasianidae

Nov 9, 2010
    Most Silkies do not have the duplex gene ether. I haven't seen many Silkies with cavernous nostrils.

8. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona

9. Whittni

Whittni Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Southern Utah
    Sounds interesting, why mess up your OEG lines with a mix?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by