Wandering Bird

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by downriverchicks, Nov 8, 2016.

1. downriverchicks

downriverchicks Just Hatched

Aug 25, 2016
    My flock are pasture kept and content that way - except for Pickles, a barred rock. Pickles started out simply hopping out of the fence and grazing along the edges. The past several days she has been disappearing for the bulk of the day and returning in the late afternoon. It really stresses me out. I've searched our entire 7 acres and the neighbor's yards as best I could and haven't caught a sight of her when she's adventuring. Is there any way to deter her from this? I suspect we're losing her egg each day and the concern is really distracting for me. I am considering rehoming her if she can't follow the rules. I'd hate to do it, because she is a wonderful and savvy bird.

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    She probably does have a hidden nest somewhere. How high is your fence she is hopping? You could try clipping one wing to try to keep her grounded.

3. downriverchicks

Aug 25, 2016
    You were right! She had a hidden nest. I searched for her for three hours today and gave the flock mealworms many times so that the roosters would call. She had hollowed out the middle a straw bale all the way in the back of the big barn and was tucking herself deep down in it. There were 18 eggs in there!

The fence is 4ft, so I'm not surprised she can get over - she's just the only one that does. My 40 birds have 350sq ft, and don't want for much!

I hadn't put much stock in wing trimming - a rehomed bird came to us with clipped wings and was still able to hop the fence a few times.

4. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Many younger birds fly up more, and stay more grounded after reaching a year of age. I guess you will have to decide if you want to keep her or not.

5. downriverchicks

Aug 25, 2016
    I think I will probably keep her. I like her a lot, and I'm glad to know she's been someplace safe rather than wandering far - we've had some predator issues and I just hate to worry!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by