Wandering Brahma

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by pgpoultry, Jun 25, 2010.

1. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    My favourite Dark Brahma hen has always been a loner.........always wanders around by herself (Free range with 6 fields and lots of hedges etc t roam). 6 weeks ago she hatched chicks and lost interest in them 10 days ago, starting to lay eggs again.

For the first 6 days or so she laid her eggs in the hen coop as she has always done whilst continuing to roam around on her own.

Then about 3 days ago her behaviour changed. She was missing all day, only coming to light just before shut up time at night. 2 days ago she appeared in a field where she does not normally go where I suspect a Warren is secretly laying eggs (Haven't been able to find them).

The real problem was yesterday. She turned up very late (almost dark), no egg laid in the coop, having been missing for 14 hours. A big area of feather loss was on her back with the quills still in the skin and an area of skin tear. I have cleaned up the area and she seems OK.......BUT.........Has she found the Warren eggs and wants to brood them? Has she been attacked by a fox? Should I keep her penned up as I have not been able to track her movements after leaving the coop due to grass length etc? (She has never been confined before)

This is a lovely hen with the sweetest nature ever, so I am particularly concerned about her.

Sandie

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    She'll end up dinner on a predators plate if you don't keep her locked up at home.

3. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    I kept her all day in a little run by the house in with a batch of 6 week chicks which were not hers (She's a real sweetheart and there was no trouble). All the Brahmas stayed around the pen today as well although she never spends any time with them by choice. By mid afternoon she wanted out, so I let her out, thinking to return her to the pen later. She made her way into the little outhouse a few feet away from the pen and has bedded down on the dog's inside bed (Again, perfectly fine, as he has been a safe haven quite a few times when a hen has returned home very late....they even lay on his bed.)
    She certainly seems to be under weather, though her wounds are very superficial and she has not laid an egg for two day.

I think I will take your advice to pen her up for a few days for her own safety,

Kind Regards,
    sandie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by