Wandering Rooster

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by SoccerMomof7, Jan 12, 2009.

1. SoccerMomof7

SoccerMomof7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Kansas
    Okay as some may know my rooster died a few weeks ago, well the other day I went outside and there was a bantam rooster (I think) sitting outside my coop waiting for the girls to come out. I live within city limits! There is a house a few blocks away that has chickens and my DH went there to see if it was theirs, nobody was home so he left a note. Well nobody has showed up to claim him, and the next day a bantam hen showed up, maybe she was here the first day too and I didn't see her, who knows. My girls are full sized, will there be a problem between them? They are now going in the coop at night with the girls, the rooster has for 2 nights now and this was the first night the hen did, with no problems so far except the rooster is mean and keeps attacking my DH. I don't know what I should do. I have made arrangements to get me a new rooster, and how would the chicks look, bantam dad and a standard mom?! I am not sure what kind they are or anything. What do I do?

2. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

Rejoice! [​IMG] Why don't critters of that type ever wander into MY yard? [​IMG] The little roo is just trying to convince everyone he's boss, and as for getting along, I have 3 bantams in w/ 23 standards and 4 guineas, and the bantams are pretty well left alone by the others. (The adult guinea is the brat of the bunch; she'll take a notion to pull the hens' tails... :rolleyes Since they've already been going into the coop w/ yours, it's a bit late to quarantine in case of illness, so just watch everyone carefully, and enjoy your new additions. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

ETA: btw, I'm sorry about your losing your rooster. [​IMG] I love my roos! I've heard people talk about flocks w/o a roo, but I would MUCH rather have one (or two, or three... [​IMG] than not. Also, you might check out RoosterRed's roo behavior modification page; he has some very good tips and techniques for settling an aggressive rooster back into acceptable behavior. Hope all goes well for you! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 12, 2009
  3. SoccerMomof7

Apr 13, 2008
    Kansas
    AHHHHHHHH! I never even thought to quarantine them! I feel like a bad chicken mommy now! (LOL) I am going to go out and see if I can get a picture of them. My best friend thinks someone saw my chickens out and didn't want their so they dropped them off hoping that I would let them stay. She also thinks I am crazy for having chickens!

4. SoccerMomof7

Apr 13, 2008
    Kansas
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is a picture of the rooster and hen. It's okay that horrible rooster (Peck is what my DD named him) let me take pictures of him but when I turned my back he attacked me! Why then? This little thing is beginning to wear on my nerves! I have little kids, I can't have a attack rooster! My foghorn was so nice he would rub on your leg when he wanted attention! I miss him so much!

5. #1California Chick

#1California Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2008
    SF Bay Area
  6. rooster0209

rooster0209 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2008
    North Dakota
    I had to go make sure Buck was still in the coop. That rooster could be his twin. Buck also tries to flog me once in a while. I usually go after him w/a flyswatter until he backs off from me. He is a brat and needs to learn I am the boss..but he sure protects his girls when their out.

[​IMG]

7. SoccerMomof7

Apr 13, 2008
    Kansas
    Thanks everyone I will definitely check that out and hopefully find something that will work for him!

8. SoccerMomof7

Apr 13, 2008
    Kansas
    Quote:What kind of rooster is Buck? That's my German Shepard name, but I think this rooster is a better guard rooster then my guard dog!

9. rooster0209

rooster0209 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2008
    North Dakota
    He is a mutt

some friends gave me free eggs last spring to hatch, their birds were free range, they have black aust/bantums/barred rocks/white rocks..so its a toss up on what he is. He is big and definately the watch 'dog'. I started calling him buck whe he stood up to me and towered above my knees.

10. SoccerMomof7

Apr 13, 2008
    Kansas
    See Peck is little, I assume a bantam, he is half maybe even a third of the size of my Brown leghorn roo I had.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by