Wanna go play with my chicks right now, but can't!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by gritsar, Jul 18, 2010.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I'm bored. Trying to keep things kinda quiet in the house because DH is taking a nap. I'd like to go play with my chicks or my adult birds but can't.
    It's 95 degrees out with a heat index of 105. If I go out there I'm bound to get them all stirred up, looking for treats and running around. I did take my big birds a nice big bunch of ice cold grapes. They are all struggling to keep themselves cool. My adult birds are in the dirt and shade behind their coop. The little ones are laying around on the cool concrete of the porch.
    I want to spend time with my birds and can't. I'm bummed. I hate summer. [​IMG]

2. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm Premium Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    Ahhh................don't hate summer that would be like hating 1/4 of your life!!!! Try to think of something good about summer....fresh tomatoes? okra? going barefoot? fireflies???? watermelon? I dont know your likes but something's good about the season ....I hope. Have a blessed one. Nancy

3. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I feel your pain. My are all under the shelters and trees, and even the egg laying has significantly slowed down. 105 here today. UGH! i lost one bird last week I am sure because of the heat. Ken is out there building another shelter for them. And I am worried about HIM in this heat.

4. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Okay, I won't hate summer anymore if I can pack up the dogs, the chickens, the cats and the hubby and go to Florida each year from June till October. Having lived in both places I'm sure Arkansas is hotter (and more humid!). [​IMG]

5. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

Quote:Naw its so humid out here recently that its not raining but everything is wet. Heat index has been over 110*F this month and the thunderstorms are more severe then they have been in ahwile... but then again ... I have a river... [​IMG]

6. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Naw its so humid out here recently that its not raining but everything is wet. Heat index has been over 110*F this month and the thunderstorms are more severe then they have been in ahwile... but then again ... I have a river... [​IMG]

Yes, but my dad (who lives in Central Florida) keeps the A/C cranking at 68 degrees year round and there's water everywhere to cool off in. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by