Wanna hear something hilarious?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Hennyhandler, Jul 11, 2011.

1. Hennyhandler

Hennyhandler SilkieJax

Jun 10, 2009
    Cullman
    I am sure many others have experienced this but every time this happens or I thin about it I just crack up. I will let my chickens out to free range in the afternoon. Well, the door to the run opens up to the left and away from where the chickens head. I will grab some seed for them and toss it into the run to get them to come back home. EVERY single one of them walk right into the corner of the door and run wall staring at the seed I have thrown on the ground and try to get to it.
    They all line up and walk into the fencing over and over. [​IMG] I have to go out, show them seed in my hand and walk them around the door and into the run everytime! [​IMG]
    It is so sad and cute all at the same time. Can't help but love them.[​IMG]

2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

That is one of the reasons I finally removed my run fencing. Honest. The flock ranges freely, anyway, and come back to their coops at night, so why did I still keep a barrier up?

It's even funnier when they would run BY the open run door, then stop several feet past it,turn around and come back, only to end up in the triangular space between the open gate/door and the run wall.

Ever notice chickens don't have a reverse? They don't seem to back up well. If they don't have space to turn around, they are effectively "stuck" in spaces they could back out of, but don't. Especially chicks. I've rescued many a chick "stuck" in tight quarters between things...

It must be why "walking a rooster backwards" is so humiliating to them. Backwards or reverse just ain't something they understand how to do well.

3. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Mine, too! They always go into the hinge corner and I have to herd them around the door. [​IMG]

4. Hennyhandler

Hennyhandler SilkieJax

Jun 10, 2009
    Cullman
    It is just tooo funny. If I get three to finally follow me the others still won't and will stare like HOW did you do that?
    Oh and better yet you have the one chicken across the whole entire run poking the fence staring in at all the other rescued chickens. I have to go over there pick her up and put her in. It just tickles me to death. [​IMG]

5. justuschickens59

justuschickens59 VA Royal Blues

Apr 2, 2009
    Virginia
    I have several coops with runs built on that are side by side and divided by hardware cloth. I get tickled when I bring them in from free ranging and they go running into the run next door and run back and forth feverishly trying to get to the treats in the run beside it. (did that make sense? [​IMG])

6. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Get yourself a couple of polish. They walk into things just cuz. I know I should give em haircuts, but... [​IMG]

7. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    No chicken has ever been "barnyard valedictorian."

8. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:This is true. [​IMG]

9. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

LOL

Chickens really can't back up or see fences. I swear they look at any wire fence and wonder what force field is keeping them back from where they want to go.

On the removal of fences note... I let my whole flock range fenceless and fence in the gardens instead. Reason being, when I had fences up a decade ago, I had a number of losses due to hawks. Most were up against a fence where the chickens probably tried to run though to get away. When a hawk shows now, they all run and hide in the bushes.

10. KristyHall

KristyHall Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2011
    North Alabama
    the only time they get out of the corner easily is when I want them in the corner so I can catch one

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by