wanna ring a new bird home

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Mogli, Aug 19, 2010.

1. Mogli

Mogli Chillin' With My Peeps

hi everyone im new at chickens and i wanna buy another bird to add to my flock but dont know how they all will get along need a few tips

2. luvchicks8

luvchicks8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    new Hampshire
    Well first you need to keep the new bird away in isolation for several weeks to watch for any hidden problems. lice cocci or anything else, then when you do introduce them they should be around same size and age and they will fight out the pecking order which I find hard to watch. It can and is done all the time but it is not just a toss the new bird in and they have a new "friend". Oh how I wish, but good luck in time it will be fine.

3. Schultz

Schultz CluckN'Crow Farm

Aug 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Well said. When ours are at the end of quarantine, we put them in a cage close by to slowly introduce them so it's not "surprise, you have a new guest!"

4. Mogli

ya ive heard that u have to keep new birds seperate 4 awhile i have 5 golden comets great birds docile too i wanna buy like 2 more birds had a few breeds in mine cant make up my mind though lol

5. luvchicks8

Jul 1, 2009
    new Hampshire
    I even put the new bird in a carrier for acouple days in the coop so that my flock can see him/her with out hurting them (about 2-3 nights).

6. Mogli

ive read somewere some people put the new birds in the coop with the flock then when everyone wakes up they never know the diffrence idk if tht works or not

7. luvchicks8

Jul 1, 2009
    new Hampshire
    Quote:I do like to take mine out of the cage for the first time at night it does seem to help but they still peck at each other for a week or so. After first 2-3 days it get's much less.

8. Schultz

Schultz CluckN'Crow Farm

Aug 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Quote:I do like to take mine out of the cage for the first time at night it does seem to help but they still peck at each other for a week or so. After first 2-3 days it get's much less.

Yes there will still need to be a pecking rder established but it will be less, in my opinion, if the birds see each other for a few days first.

9. Mogli

ya im sure theres alota peckn i wanna get a buff orphagain layn hen they are BIG chickens idk if my 5 golden comets would get along wth her or not

10. Mogli

does anybody have buff orphagain chickens? are they mean or very friendly

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by