Wanna see what I've been doing for the past few days? - Picture heavy

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Maidservant, May 11, 2009.

1. Maidservant

Maidservant Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2008
    Norwich, Norfolk, UK
    Okra
    [​IMG]

Better Boy Tomatoes
    [​IMG]

Sweet Corn
    [​IMG]

Muskmelons (commonly called cantelopes), Ambrosia Variety
    [​IMG]

Potatoes
    [​IMG]

Strawberries
    [​IMG]

Sweet Peas
    [​IMG]

Sweet Basil
    [​IMG]

Yellow Tomatoes and Sweet Bell Peppers
    [​IMG]

And finally, the newest addition to the critter family, a baby robin that hatched this morning! We had a bad thunder storm this morning, which blew down a nest out near the chicken pens, and I found a robins egg that had started pipping! I stuck it in the incubator with the two robins eggs that I'm incubating for my fiance's little sister to see if it would be ok. Well, it is, so now I'll be doing the foster mom thing for a while.
    [​IMG]

2. Cackling Hen

Cackling Hen Just Scratching Around

Apr 21, 2009
    Port Angeles Wa
    WOW very nice garden.I got us cantelope to grow we live in the PNW hardley any summer you have any advice on how to grow them? Its our first time trying cantelope i said they wont grow hubby says YES they will....... We planted this weekend hope we have a summer [​IMG]

3. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    O MY GOODNESS that baby robin is so cute...keep us posted on how he is doing... you should name him....

4. HarlansHollowFarms

HarlansHollowFarms bana-bhuidseach anns gára

Jan 16, 2009
    Looks like you have been busy...nice garden too!

5. Southern Gardener

Southern Gardener Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2008
    Louisiana
    Your garden is beautiful! Mine is under water! [​IMG]

6. thechickenchick

thechickenchick Born city, Living country

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    Quote:Don't feel bad! The snow just melted off of ours 3 days ago!! I already had my potatoes and onions in. I hope they are OK. This week I plan on planting the rest.

I wondered if it was possible to incubate robin eggs, and it is!! DH finds eggs around the farm once in a while. Next time I will put it in the bator. I did find a pheasant egg the other day and put it under my broody. 2 Days later it was gone, so someone must have eaten it! [​IMG] I was disappointed. Good luck with yours! Post more pics if you can. [​IMG]

7. Maidservant

Maidservant Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2008
    Norwich, Norfolk, UK
    That's the great thing about living in Zone 7, we can plant warm weather crops on April 8th here. I was a little late this year! I also have cucumbers, yellow squash, zuchinni, acorn squash, crowder peas, and pumpkin seeds in the ground, and I'll be putting in the watermelon seed this week if all goes well.

The only advice I have on the cantelopes are to find someone with rabbits. Cantelopes love rabbit manure. See how mine are in little mounds right now? All of the space in between them will be filled with rabbit manure before they're ready to pick. It makes them sweeter!

We found a baby robin (about a week old) two years ago in a thunderstorm in the middle of the street soaking wet. We had him for about two months before he passed away. We named him Squirt, and he travelled everywhere with me for those two months.

I'll definatly be posting more photos of him/her as it grows, and hopefully the other two will develop correctly.

Emily in NC

8. ohiofarmgirl

ohiofarmgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2009
    wow! would you look at that! great work!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by