Wanna weigh in on drake behavior?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by TLopes, Apr 7, 2017.

1. TLopes

TLopes Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2017
    Fun first time exploring outdoors. I think I can already tell which one is a drake. He opens his mouth every time I come around as if a warning. He is the last one to want to cuddle. He always seems 'on the lookout' as if the watch dog, example; everyone else gets to the snacks first while he hangs back to see if the coast is clear. And he always sounds off first. Anyone wanna weigh in? Lol[​IMG]

2. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

That is not a very good sign of Drake behaviour...;)......That is a shy Duckling...Even adult Ducks that are scared will open their mouths....The standing back is not a Drake behaviour...That is a Rooster behaviour...The Duckling just isn't as sure of its self as the rest of them..:)

When they reach around 7 to 8 weeks their voices change...Drakes have a raspy voice and Hens quack....At around 4 months they will go through a juvenile molt and Drakes will grow in their tail curls....;)

Enjoy those Ducklings....They are very cute...:)

Cheers!

3. TLopes

Mar 28, 2017
    wow, thank you!! Great advice!

4. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Your welcome..:)

5. Ducks4us

Ducks4us Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2015
    North Idaho
    My girls started getting their voices around 3 weeks. Now at 5 and 6 weeks the girls are really loud and one drake is quiet.
    And i had one that wasnt scared but always did the mouth opening with no noise when i would come into the brooder lol.
    And it turned out to be a girl! [​IMG]
    And my boy was just as cuddly as the girls

6. Krazyquilts

Krazyquilts Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Very cute fuzzy little ducklings!!!

7. Vyctoria

Vyctoria Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2016
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Love the picture!

My drake is the most outgoing of my ducks, but he was a lot more shy as a duckling. He's a complete treat hog.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2017
  8. TLopes

Mar 28, 2017
    oh thank you! I think one of mines is starting to get a voice at approx 3 weeks too! I'm excited that she could be a gal.

9. TLopes

Mar 28, 2017
    Thanks! My boys love them. The smaller ducklings don't mind them but the pekins are still a bit skiddish. I'm actually hearing a lot about loving drakes, I like that!

10. TLopes

Mar 28, 2017
    thank you! They are starting to get their feathers now [​IMG] I hope they always stay sweet n cuddly

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by