"Wannabe" Broody?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Wynette, May 23, 2008.

1. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    I've got an EE hen (just turned 1 yr. old) who, I "think," tried to go broody about a month ago.

My question is, if she tried once and was unsuccessful, will she try again at some point in the future, or just give up on the idea?

What happened was that I'd noticed egg production dramatically dropping off. I only have 6 layers right now, so when I began going from 4-6 eggs per day to 1-2, I wondered what was up. It took me a few days to figure it out; my Sissy was settin' on a batch of eggs in a far back corner that you can hardly see in my coop. Her best bud, Doodoo, was settin' right beside her. I found 14 eggs under Sissy, and 3 under Doodoo. The eggs were from ALL 6 layers, so apparently when Sissy decided she wanted to try to set some eggs, the rest decided she could hatch theirs, too. I assume this is all normal behavior (?).

As soon as I figured out what was going on, I removed the eggs. Sissy stayed put for another day, and I found her eggs and a few others in the same spot for another 2-3 days - I kept removing them. Now, she's back to laying in the nest box like normal.

So, I'd love some opinions: will she every try again and, if so, will she be an uncommitted mom to the eggs like last time, or was this first time perhaps just "practice," and maybe she'll become a better broody? I'd love to let her hatch some eggs, but don't get enough eggs to waste them (I sell extras) if she's not going to really put her all into it! Thanks for your feedback - I just want to be prepared for next time, if there IS a next time!

2. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Anyone have an opinion they can share with me?

3. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    I haven't had any experience with broody's yet as mine are all still wee chicks (mostly)... but from what I've read, if she's gone broody once, she'll most likely try again eventually. And sometimes they will go partially broody a few times before getting it right and sticking it out. Time will tell [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by