Want a couple of chicken's for eggs

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by staa02, Mar 8, 2008.

1. staa02

staa02 New Egg

Mar 8, 2008
    Eastern Ct.
    I was thinking of getting three or four chickens to raise in my backyard and wanted some input
    I live in a small neighborhood and my house sits on 3/4 acres. I have plenty of room for a small coop and run. But wanted to know if ther is any oder or other issues that may cause problems with the neighbors. We injoy gardening and I thought this would add to the time we spend in the yard.
    Also I was looking at getting 2 red star and 2 black star would these be good?

2. Hawkster318

Hawkster318 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 24, 2007
    North Freedom Wisconsin
    Chickens and gardens? Last year was our first experience with chcikens and with any sizeable garden as well.

I gotta say, they really love the tomatoes, peppers, pumpkins and watermelons. I think the watermelons were the favorite, but it was hard to tell. [​IMG]

Four chickens may be more manageable than twenty four tho.

I don't see odor causing any problems, but if you end up with a Roo, well, some neighbors become downright un-neighborly when early crowing wakens them.

Good luck and enjoy!

3. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    OR.....if it is like MY roo.....morning, noon, night, and everything in-between crowing!!! LOL
    (alright, guess I need to edit this to admit, he really doesn't crow at NIGHT LOL)

Last edited: Mar 8, 2008
  4. trailhound

trailhound Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2008
    I used to keep chickens in a small city yard with close neighbors- we live on a farm now though. Before I got my chickens I asked the people around me if they minded, made sure not to get a rooster, and shared eggs, we had no problems with neighbors. I am not familiar with the breeds you mentioned, but I have had several other breeds and mixes and pretty much all the hens I have had had have been great layers year round with no extra lights or work. I think what is as important as breed is good food and care. I didn't have a vegetable garden, but when they would get into my flower beds (they were not supposed to, but every now and then they would sneak in) they made a huge mess- they love to dig and roll around in the loose soil. You will want to separate chicken-land from garden-land!

5. skeeter

skeeter Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Parma Idaho
    both of those will be very good layers and almost no chance of being a roo

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by