Want a peek at my pekins?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ScottyChic, Feb 26, 2014.

1. ScottyChic

ScottyChic Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi - Greetings from a windswept/rain-lashed island off the West coast of Scotland.
    I have a problem and I wonder if anyone has encountered this before.
    I have kept Pekin Bantams for a year and a half and they are delightful birds - however I purchased a new cockerel who is 10 months old - nearly 11 months old. BUT he just does not know how to mate,
    He goes through the motions of having his wing out, going round the hen in circles , he grips her by the back of the head then stands there looking at her. He may start to peck her feathers ever so gently.
    It is not right to laugh (NOW DON'T) but this morning he went as far as to jump on her head - he kept trying to leap on her head.
    Unbelievable but true.
    He has a choice of 2 grey hens and a black.
    I am getting a little worried because I adore this wee fella - he's lovely/good natured etc........and I do not want to get rid of him.
    Has anyone come across this issue before? He's had a month in with the hens but it's not getting any better.
    I would go so far as to say that he even got a little aggressive/frustrated this morning and I do not want him hurting my girls.
    Any suggestions?

2. azygous

azygous True BYC Addict

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Patience. Some boys just take a bit longer to perfect their technique.

I've watched, and have been highly entertained, by four roosters coming into their hormones and learning their way around the hens. Clumsy doesn't even begin to describe them!

I think the funniest was my last roo, Penrod. He was a very large lad, and had an awful time with balance. Often he would get properly aligned only to tumble head-first off the hen in a rolling summersault. It took him two years of practice to perform without high hilarity on my part.

Sadly, he died last summer, but he left a little son, Izzy, who is now learning how it's done.

3. ScottyChic

Thank you so much - that does reassure me that all is not lost.
    I bought him from a Top Breeder in England and the plan is to breed him with my 2 Blue Pekins and the other Black Pekin that I bought along with him.
    He certainly has plenty of 'desire' to do what Cockerels do best.
    I don't know what the 2 Blue girls make of it all because they had a beautiful Blue Cockerel for a year and he certainly was busy.
    Do you think that the Hens will be trying to correct him? They do 'talk' away.
    If only Hens could talk..............................................wonder what they would be saying right now?

4. azygous

azygous True BYC Addict

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    I'm a keen observer of my flock, and I can tell you hens are not long on patience with a young, clumsy cockerel. He will be motivated to improve or they will start objecting to his attentions. But if cockerels are long on anything, it's motivation.

He sounds like a very sweet boy, and hens will appreciate that in the long run, just like human ladies.

5. ScottyChic

Hi - yes he's a handsome boy and they are very keen to have him in with them. At present I have the 2 blacks in one Housing area and the 2 Blue Pekins in another (they are close to each other and can see what the others are doing).
    What I tend to do is pick him up around an hour of them being let out of their sleeping quarters and put him in with the Blue's - leave him with them for 4 hours or so. He's very attentive and pleased to be with them.
    I just hope that he learns a little faster than your Cockerel. I would love chicks this year.
    I shall broadcast the good news when it happens.

6. ScottyChic

Good Evening

An update on my Romeo (black pekin cockerel)

Things may be heading in the right direction. This morning he managed to position himself correctly on top of the hen - so this is a bonus. However my other blue pekin hen rushed and jumped up at him and knocked him off. Things descended into CHAOS - when he attemped a repeat performance she kept jumping on his back then started leaping on and off the back of the other female.
    There was a great Hullabaloo - wood shavings flying, impossible. [​IMG] It was like a circus.
    The joys of being a Pekin peeker.

See what tomorrow brings...........

7. azygous

azygous True BYC Addict

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    That's funny! But it's typical of pullets and cockerels who are learning the difference between mating and challenges to the pecking order. It's similar to the small child who accidentally gets a peek at Mommy and Daddy in the bedroom, and he thinks Daddy is hurting Mommy.

Soon they will grow accustomed to the act of mating, and the hens will squat when they catch a glimpse of the roo approaching, and everyone will take it all in stride.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by