Want advice on my plans for my coop and run

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Moores6, Feb 9, 2012.

1. Moores6

Moores6 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2011
    Fayetteville, NC
    Ok so, we are going to build a coop. Have already ordered the chickens, 25 RIR straight run. Plan on keeping 12 hens and 1 rooster. ( and if we don't end up with 12 we will order more LOL)
    My coop will be raised 10 x 6 with 6 nesting boxes (do I need more or less?) 60sqft
    the run will be 10 x 30 plus the 6 feet under the coop. 360 sqft
    Plus they will be able to free range in my garden and yard for a few hours a day.

The run is made up of dog pen panels. FIL gave me these for free (8 panels one had some major damage so we are using 6). 2 of the panels have full size doors, one will open to the yard and the other to the garden.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
    Sharon

2. Bullitt

Bullitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2012
    Texas
    It is recommended that there be four chickens per nesting box, so you only need three nesting boxes.

Will your run be open? The chickens might be able to get out, depending on the height. Will you close them up in the coop at night?

It seems like you have a pretty good plan with enough room for your chickens. Hopefully you will end up with a dozen hens or close to it.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2012
  3. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    Sounds good so far although I will tell you you won't need 6 nest boxes for 12 hens. Generally "they" suggest one nest box for every 4 hens, but in my experience one nestbox becomes the favorite and they all want to use it. They'll even queue up to wait their turn, while other nestboxes sit empty. Sometimes if they just can't wait any more, two or three will pile into one nest together. So you might be able to save some room in the coop by only putting in 2-3 nests.

4. Moores6

Moores6 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2011
    Fayetteville, NC
    The run will have wire fencing on top. The pen is 6.5 ft tall.

Less nesting boxes mean less work for dh.

If we decide to have more chickens I have room to expand later. LOL

Thank you for your advice.

Now just to get my chicks and convince the other animals that they are ok to be here.

And to talk hubby into making the coop 12 x 8.

Chicken math and I haven't got my chicks yet.

5. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    Since a lot of building supplies (OSB, plywood etc) come in 4x8 sheets, and a common lumber length is 8', the easiest size for your husband to build is going to be something that minimizes cutting. Therefore, 12x6 is not ideal because he would need to cut sheets on every side. 12x8 will be easier. 16x8 easier still. Ooops, I'm not helping, am I? [​IMG]

6. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

The only thing I'd suggest would be to perhaps consider an 8x8 coop rather than a 6x10. Since most building materials come in 8ft. sections, there's little to no waste - more bang for your buck. I agree that 4 next boxes will be plenty for a dozen hens. And if you wall mount them about 24" off the ground then you waste no floor space. Good luck with your build [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by