1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

want guineas

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by erinm, Jun 21, 2007.

1. erinm

erinm Posting For A change

Feb 24, 2007
    Central Massachusetts
    Doesn't anyone know where i can get 2 guineas in MA? Thanks Erin M.

2. Standard Hen

Standard Hen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2007
    Massachusetts
    Hi Erin,

Where in MA are you? I know a woman in my town that had a bunch of Guinea eggs in the incubator as of May when I picked some chicks up from her..
    I just got three one year olds for free from someone that was giving them away. They are still in lockdown because I have a feeling if I let them out they will be history! I am located in the Southeastern part of the state.

3. erinm

Feb 24, 2007
    Central Massachusetts
    I am in central MA. about 20 minutes from worcester. But after all I have read about guineas , I am thinking maybe a couple of turkies instaed?

4. Cheri

Cheri Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2007
    Dayton, TX
    [​IMG]I want Guineas. But I would have to fence in my front yard first.

5. erinm

Feb 24, 2007
    Central Massachusetts
    that is one reason why i am reconsidering because they take off. erinm

6. Royal Oaks Ranch

Royal Oaks Ranch Out Of The Brooder

Jan 22, 2007
    Northern Calif
    Clip one wing and they wont be able to fly, fence them in, then they will stay home [​IMG] Mine stay home but then again I live on 11 1/2 acres... They have more room than they need..

7. jkcove08

jkcove08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2007
    Iowa
    If you get a few babies they should stay home. Mine are still young but they run all around the property eating bugs. We have 3 acres more or less. They also have a little heard of chicks and turkeys that fallow too. It is real funny to watch. There are 2 half grown guineas, a male and a female and then 5 younger keets, 10 to 15 young chickens and 2 turkeys that run together. Then there are also 2 half grown gosling and 2 ducks that are with them. THey go on thier own when I let them out. They love following my DH when he mows since that throw the bugs around. It is a blast to watch them. Jenn

8. erinm

Feb 24, 2007
    Central Massachusetts
    You don't ahve any problems with chickens / turkeys together? I see conflicting dicumaentation about thet. i would like turkeys If I decde no on the guineas.

9. jkcove08

jkcove08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2007
    Iowa
    A couple of my turkeys free range, in other words I clip thier wing and they still get out..lol and the chickens also free range. They leave each other alone. I have had a couple times where a rooster that is not top dog go after my rehab tom. This tom turkey doesnt know he is a turkey though. Neither one was hurt at all. I would not put them in a small coop together though. My turkeys and geese are in the same pen together. Jenn

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by