Want one goat. Is that impossible?

Willowspirit

Crowing
Mar 14, 2019
Near Portland Oregon at 2Dogs Ranch North
My old mare needs stall rest a few days a month. We generally keep another horse in the barn with her for company. It would be nice to not keep another horse in so it occurred to me we could get a goat as a companion (preferably a wether). When she’s out he’d be out, when she’s in, he’d be in. I just want one goat so he’d bond with my mare. But I can’t seem to find someone who will place one goat. Everyone wants to place pairs and that is too pricey for me. Is my idea silly?

i have seen goats bond with horses before for example Fallon Taylor had a goat for her horse babyflo Also some race horses have companion goats. I would advise you to get a kid so it would bond better a bottle baby would probably work best. I personally have tried to have 1 goat before and she was so lonely by herself but she also was not with a horse

My old mare needs stall rest a few days a month. We generally keep another horse in the barn with her for company. It would be nice to not keep another horse in so it occurred to me we could get a goat as a companion (preferably a wether). When she’s out he’d be out, when she’s in, he’d be in. I just want one goat so he’d bond with my mare. But I can’t seem to find someone who will place one goat. Everyone wants to place pairs and that is too pricey for me. Is my idea silly?
We raise Nigerian dwarf goats and we won’t sell a goat to someone who wants just one goat that will be by itself- they are a herd animal and don’t do well by themselves, but if they had a constant companion in a horse I don’t see a problem in that.

We have tow goats, a Pigme goat and a Fainting goat that LOVE the horses. The fainting goat hardly hangs out with the horses, but when Nova, our mare was alone before we got more horses, she treated Billy, the Pigme, like her baby! She loved the goat! One goat and a horse is a great idea! Were have you been looking to find a goat? Craigslist is a good place to look, though I don't know if you ache been looking there already. Maybe try your state thread on here to, and see if there is anyone near by that needs to rehome a goat. Good luck! I love your idea! - https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...me-together-washington-peeps.717207/page-4893 Heres the state thread.

I just want one goat so he’d bond with my mare. But I can’t seem to find someone who will place one goat. Everyone wants to place pairs and that is too pricey for me.

Did you specifically explain that you wanted it as a companion to a horse?

It's not good for goats to live entirely alone, but someone might be willing to make an exception to their usual policy if they realize the goat will not really be alone.

I don't know what time goats usually give birth in your area, but you might have better luck after someone's flock produces more male kids than they expected ;)

Back
Top Bottom