want our own milk and butter

HSerChickLady

Songster
7 Years
Feb 12, 2012
upstate NY
We'd like to have our own milk and butter, possibly make some of our own cheese at some point. We keep getting different recs from people we've chatted with. Half say a Jersey cow is the way to go and half ask why we would want a cow and tell us to get a goat or two. I personally would prefer a cow over goat's but that's just because every loose goat i've ever been around has chased me for some reason.

We go through about 2 gallons of milk a week at least. Plus a pound or so of butter on average. If we have extra i can give it to a dear friend who can't have livestock of her own. Whichever animal we choose we'd let her nurse her baby/babies and we'd get whatever is left over.

So which route do you recommend? And how long can we expect to get milk from said animal before she'd have to freshen to get milk again?

I've been interested in getting a cow at some point in my life too. From all the research I have been doing, I really like the mini Jerseys. They give a good amount of milk, but not as much as a full sized one. A lot of people mix them with mini Angus cattle so that you get a good milker that has some meat on them. They also don't require as much room as a full sized cow. I have not done much reading lately (finals are coming up) some some of the specifics are fuzzy, but definitely check them out.

Last edited:
Mini jerseys are what we are thinking too when we get some land. I like the higher butterfat content, and can taste the difference. :) Hopefully someone with some dairy experience will pipe up.

My step-grandpa is a cow farmer and he recommended Jerseys too because of the butterfat content. The mini's have my curiosity peaked indeed. Just need to find some time to research them. And since i've never had a cow before i have a lot of husbandry research to do as well.

I love my goats! They are sweet and friendly. They chase my dog, but I've never seen them chase people. In some ways I think a cow would have been aesier, though. Goats are much more intelligent and get into EVERYTHING. lol

I love my goats! They are sweet and friendly. They chase my dog, but I've never seen them chase people. In some ways I think a cow would have been aesier, though. Goats are much more intelligent and get into EVERYTHING. lol

I've got 3 goats and they are crazy. We have a 6ft high welded wire fence stapled to posts that are cemented into the ground. We still come home on nice days to find all three laying out on the deck sunbathing. We've basically given up now, and leave the gate open most days. They have also squeezed through the chicken's free-range door (12 x 16 in) to get their food. My goats are 80-100lb, 3 1/2 ft tall Boer goats with horns. I have no idea how they fit...but they can never figure out how to get out. It is pretty hilarious walking out to the chicken run to see 20 chickens and 3 goats all hanging out.

Yeah, goat's are something for sure. We get a kick out of seeing the one's people have around here. The kids like goat's too. Can you make butter from goat's milk?

I think you can, it's just a lot more work. I'm planning on trying it, maybe next month once I start milking milk instead of colostrum out of my Saanen cross. :) She's Saanen/Boer. I think she's going to be a great milker! She just kidded 2 days ago and I milked her for the first time yesterday and got 2 cups of colostrum out of one teat in about 5 min! I'm giving the colostrum to a friend who does fawn rescue. And on that note, I'd like to add, if you find a fawn, LEAVE IT THERE! Its mama will be back for it! They hide them on purpose and only feed twice a day, just like rabbits!

Back
Top Bottom