Want to add another gal

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by rfranco1978, Nov 8, 2015.

1. rfranco1978

rfranco1978 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 29, 2015
    Santa Clarita
    Hi all!
    So, I have a buff orp and a RIR. What's another sweet breed to add? I'm looking for sweet, friendly, docile.

2. LRH97

LRH97 Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Jul 29, 2013
    Southern Illinois
    There are several breeds that come to mind, but one that kind of sticks out to me are Brahmas. They're big, pretty, gentle and one of my favorites. They just are big puffy sweethearts. I have Light and Dark, but I have to say the Dark variety catches my eye a little more. [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 8, 2015
  3. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Chicken Obsessed

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    I think you're asking for trouble adding just one more girl. Why are you adding? If you choose to add, I'd suggest that you only add if you have at least 4 s.f. in the coop, and 10 s.f. in the run per bird when you're DONE adding. And adding a single bird is going to be problematic b/c your 2 nice girls will beat the daylights out of the new girl. I'd recommend adding 2 from the same source if you have the room, or not adding any at all.

4. Skylercarr

Skylercarr Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2015
    I agree you should add 2 instead of one so they can look out for each other. I like silver laced Wyandottes they are very sweet and pretty.

5. LRH97

LRH97 Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Jul 29, 2013
    Southern Illinois
    I agree also 100%. (forgot to mention that [​IMG]) Pairs or trios at the least when adding. The integration process is stressful enough. For a bird going at it alone is probably, well, hell.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by