Want to add variety to our flock...suggestions?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by TN Henny Penny, Aug 10, 2011.

1. TN Henny Penny

TN Henny Penny Out Of The Brooder

Jan 22, 2011
    We have 26 Red Stars that are about 7 mos old. They are doing great - lay at least 23 eggs per day! We're going to give some to friends (about 1/2 dozen) and want to replace with about 10 of some diverse breeds (layers or dual breed). We'll start with chicks in a brooder and then carefully mix them in with our original flock when they're big enough. Araucanas are a definite as we'd love to see the colorful eggs. We like brown eggs, but would be ok with some white. Any suggestions of some of your favorites (layers) to mix in with all those Red Stars? Any photos of your diverse flocks?

Thanks!
    Linda

2. maybejoey

maybejoey got chickenidous?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2011
  3. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Realistically, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. There are so many different breeds, colors, and patterns out there that would fit your criteria that that I have trouble coming up with any suggestions that stand out. Maybe think of that old song, red and yellow, black and white. You already have the red covered.

I suggest you go through Henderson's Breed Chart to sort of narrow it down, then check out some photos on Feathersite. With just a little care, it is hard to go wrong.

Henderson’s Breed Chart
    http://www.ithaca.edu/staff/jhenderson/chooks/chooks.html

Feathersite
    http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/BRKPoultryPage.html

4. 10 point

10 point country boy

Feb 19, 2011
    LaFayette, NY
    get some marans they come in three varieties and lay very dark brown eggs (chocolate colored) also get some olive eggers they lay olive colored eggs hence the name olive eggers. Neither of these breeds will lay like your red stars size or amount wise but have a nicer colored eggs.

there are a lot of cool looking breeds like BLRWyandottes but thats all up to personal taste that you can find in the breed index on BYC

5. ECBW

ECBW Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    NJ
    Just be aware that integrating birds (especially younger ones) can be challenging as you might have read on this site. It could disrupt the production of the existing birds.

6. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
  7. Nava

Nava I Got The Naked Neck Blues

Aug 2, 2009
    Ocala Fl
    if you really want variety you can't go wrong with this breed, they lay a lot during the heat and cold, very calm bird
    [​IMG]

Chicks are cute too

[​IMG]

8. thedeacon

thedeacon Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2008
    Midwest
    Check out the Murry McMurry site. good descriptions and selections

9. TN Henny Penny

TN Henny Penny Out Of The Brooder

Jan 22, 2011
    Thanks for the comments and links. I forgot about the helpful 'breeds' section of this site. Another question? With our future challenge of blending the younger birds into the flock, should breed temperament be a consideration in our selection? Would similar size be a factor for smoother transition as well? Thanks again!

10. kinsey228

kinsey228 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    Chesterville, Maine
    My Wyandottes are the sweetest ones in my flock. They also come in soooo many different colors !

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by