want to adopt, need more info!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by jessa2723, Aug 20, 2013.

1. jessa2723

jessa2723 Out Of The Brooder

May 30, 2013
    cape cod ma
    Hey all :) I have the opportunity to adopt one or two ducks from someone in my area. I have three 12week old magpies, (one drake and two ducks) the ducks that are up for adoption are four month old runners. Id love to have one or two more but am fairly new to being a mama duck and unsure if bringing more into the flock will be a pleasant experience. I've done a little research on Indian runners and they seem likeagreat addition. Any advice on this would be great!......
    Also, would another drake or duck be the better choice considering the ratio I already have?

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I think adding a couple of Runners would be a very nice addition to your flock. If one is a drake though you might want to consider the possibility that in the spring they will fight for dominance, but if allowed to free range it may not amount to much but contained in a run could pose problems. Just remember you will have to introduce slowly because your original flock will look at the new comers as a threat keep them separate but where they can all see each other then gradually letting them all be out in a common area giving out lots of treats[to keep their minds on their tummies] I think they will blend nicely and make a great flock for you. Let us know what you decide and of course pics of them all. [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 20, 2013
  3. jessa2723

jessa2723 Out Of The Brooder

May 30, 2013
    cape cod ma
    O good I was hoping for that answer lol! I decided last spring to get a few ducklings from a friend and now I'm hooked! The kids will be thrilled as well. Ill be sure to post pics:)

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Look forward to seeing them all! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by