Want to better understand using sand and wood chips for coops and runs

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by harleyjo, May 30, 2010.

1. harleyjo

harleyjo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2010
    SW Iowa
    I am just getting into chickens. My husband built a coop and we have a wood floor in it. 2 windows with hardware wire, very secure. I have an exterior door for a house with almost all windows so they will have plenty of light. Then we built a small 8 x 12 fenced yard/run area for them. I intend for them to free range some but also want to be able to contain them more closely at times.

I have wood chips down inside the coop but have read a few things about using sand. Help me understand what is best to use where. Thank-you.

[​IMG][/img]

Last edited: May 30, 2010
  2. krcote

krcote Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Concord, NH
    Wood chips inside. Sand outside. Wood chips/shavings are an excellent medium for the deep litter method (do a search for more info). The sand outside is usually put down after the chickens have eaten all of the pretty grass and you are left with a wet smelly muddy run. Sand drains well, and is easily raked clean of poo on a regular basis. Helpful?

3. harleyjo

harleyjo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2010
    SW Iowa
    Yes that helps. Do the people that use the sand on the inside have dirt floors?

4. krcote

krcote Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Concord, NH
    That I do not know!

5. Boo-Boo's Mama

Boo-Boo's Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

I plan to use sand on the floor...will either put some cheap vinyl on floor or paint with high gloss paint. I'm using sand in the trays under my chicks now...they are on wire in a Chicken-n-Hutch from TSC. The sand dries the poo out and I scoop daily to keep the smell and flies down.

6. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Quote:I don't. I have a winter coop with a painted wood floor and sand on top. There's a picture on my BYC page. Works great!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by