Want to borrow a rooster - how long before eggs will be fertile

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by hollandmum, Dec 31, 2009.

1. hollandmum

hollandmum Out Of The Brooder

May 14, 2009
    Chardon
    Hi All,

I have a small flock of chickens but I don't keep a rooster. I'm planning to hatch some new chicks in the summer and would LOVE to hatch from my own eggs... thus I plan to borrow a rooster. Does anyone know how long I would have to keep the rooster before I can collect the 'hatching eggs'. Will be on rooster to 9 hens. has anyone tried this before?

Thanks!

Tracey

2. MakNat

MakNat Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    Ky
    Keep the rooster at least a week, maybe 10 days if you can. The eggs should be fertile for about 3 weeks after the roo leaves!!! You can gather eggs for up to 10 days to hatch!! With 9 hens you'll have a bator full! good luck and have fun!! cheep cheep

3. karen71

karen71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Bear, DE
    You may want to be careful about the roo - new birds can bring different microorganisms that your birds don't have - your girls could get sick even of the roo doesn't look sick just because they are not used to the same things as he is - you should isolate the roo a least a month - you don't want your whole flock wiped out- it may be better to get a roo as a chick raise it then get rid of it when your done - just saying be very very careful - too much can go wrong bringing adult birds into your flock -

4. MakNat

MakNat Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    Ky
    I've borrowed my nieghbor's roos before with no problems... Several times. Just lots of cute little chooks!

5. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    Bio security is a HUGE issue, and one not to be taken lightly. Even something as innocent as going to the zoo can wipe out your whole flock. My ds (18) works at a poultry farm and he is not allowed to bring his work clothes home or his shoes and he is not allowed to wear his home coop clothes or shoes to work, why? because his employer and I both agree the best way to keep both flocks healthy is to have tight bio-security

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/post.php?tid=280822

6. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

Might want to keep it awhile . The hens might not accept a new roo right away.

7. hollandmum

hollandmum Out Of The Brooder

May 14, 2009
    Chardon
    Wow, thats for all the quick responses! Appreciated!

The roo I have in mind belongs to a neighbour about 1/2 mile away. Both our flocks are smallish in size and partially freeranged. Hopefully that will help a little in the biosecutiry compartment as they are already so close and in similar circumstances.

Thanks again for the info!

Tracey

8. geebs

geebs Lovin' the Lowriders!

Sep 28, 2008
    A kid brings his hen to my house every 2 weeks... We have a "virgin" area that no chickens go on... every time... I wash up my bird first and he washes up his bird.. (feet especially) and they get to go to the "chicky chicky love shack" It takes in an afternoon.... He will catch her several times and then she goes home that day... by the 3 egg his swimmers have caught her... We have hatched lots of eggs this way. (it is very true about the organisms... so we are very carefull and follow quarantine procedures for both birds.

9. chickenmomma11

chickenmomma11 New Egg

Oct 29, 2011
    I need to borrow a rooster, possibly a mellow type to 'marry' some of my hens so that their eggs can be fertilized - I live in Seattle with a zip code of 98125 - any offers would be really appreciated, thank you! Julia

10. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Quote:I reccomend E-harmony for chickens, and the test they have to take I hear is easy. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by