Want to buy a BeeHive in NC

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by vfem, Nov 29, 2010.

1. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    My husband has been wanting to raise honey bees. So I want to buy him a hive (used or new) and it doesn't have to have bees started in it. I have a small budget, but was planning on buying him a nuc at christmas to have delivered in the spring when everything is set up.

I would prefer the frames came with it!

Thanks!

2. HenThymes

HenThymes pippin ain't easy

Feb 27, 2010
    Foothills of NC
    Sorry, double post. [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 29, 2010
  3. HenThymes

HenThymes pippin ain't easy

Feb 27, 2010
    Foothills of NC
    Shannon, I have been wanting bees for a couple of years now. When I finally do get there, this is the one that I really like: http://www.thegardenhive.com/ And they are local in NC. [​IMG]

4. onehorse_2000

onehorse_2000 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    First off, from a beekeeper, always buy new equipment, do not inherit someone else's problems. There are several beekeeping supply companies in NC, Orr's, Blue Sky, Brushy Mountain to name a few, and all have helpful staff to help you choose what would be best to start with. Secondly, no one can have just one hive and it is highly recommend to start with at least two, so you can compare how one is doing to the other and so you can use resources from one to help the other out, if needed.

5. vfem

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Well I was going to buy from hugh's Bees in NC, but I don't want to take away from his business, especially so late in the year... he's a really nice guy!

Thanks for all the advice, we've gotten a lot of advice, advice apparently flows freely... he's already joined a group, our neighbor has 3 hives, and we want to start with one, and then perhaps add a second. We are in a neighborhood, luckily over an acre is ours, with pond property and part of a wooded lot. We have a small orchard lining everything, so the bees will be happy.

(Funny, my husband is allergic and we'll have to have an epi pen on call at all times!)

Anyways, he's about ready to built his own, he can... he's a carpenter... I just wanted to be the sweet wife who didn't make him make is own present, if you know what I mean.

I did hear of a guy in Wake Forest who makes top bar hives new, but I think he wants nearly $200 for one. I have found hives with bees already started for about that... so its disappointing to find numbers all over the place. Maybe I will just let him build his own, and buy a nuc from LonePine Farms in Coats.

6. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Quote:We got ours from the guy in Wake Forest and he was WONDERFUL! We spent the entire day with him taking about bees. We are very satisified with ours - we got the Cypress with the observation window. Our bees we purchased in Cerro Gordo (about a 30 min drive for us). The top bar are supposed to be more natural for the bees and causes them less stress. Plus they are easy to work with, and if you like comb honey they are ideal. You just cut off the comb and replace the bar for them to make another comb.

7. vfem

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    I'm wondering what I'm going to end up doing? I have directions to make one, with a window even. We have the plexi-glass to make the window even.

I'm going to ask him what he'd like to do then. I do still have the info for the guy in Wake Forest though... so we'll see [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by