Want To Buy A Incubator

countrygirl911

Songster
9 Years
Jun 17, 2010
Mississippi
Hi I am looking to buy a cheap Incubator so that my children can experience the birth of a baby chicken. My husband lost his job and I can not afford something expensive.

Depending where you are, maybe someone on here can let you borrow or rent one for a month or so. If you're planning to hatch some now, you might have good luck, as many of us pack up our incubators in the summer.

Otherwise, the styrofoam hovabators are the cheapest reliable ones. There are lots of good plans on here for making your own, but I'm not that handy.

Why not just make a cheap incubator? A small one wouldn't cost you much at all and if you turned them by hand you wouldn't need a turner! I make mine, with an auto turner for less that $100 counting a sheet of 3/4" plywood that was nearly $40. But you can use a styrofoam cooler that only cost about 3.99 at most corner stores! All you need is a light buld, a small fam from a computer (that you can get a radio shack for about $5.00 and the bottom thermostat from a water heater that you can get at any hardware store! Drop me a line and I'll tell youhow to wire it up!
Dick

PS... I have 3 different colors of Orpington Chickens that I'll even send you some eggs from. Blue, Black and Buff. (anything for kids to learn) wife teaches K5 and we do it for her class in school too!

Last edited:
i am still looking for one i live in southwest mississippi in a town called meadville we are centered between mccomb, natchez and brookhaven. All i want is to hatch a few eggs just enough for the kids to learn. I asked the teachers and none have any at all they asked if i found one could they use it for their classes and i said of course. Not many people around me have chickens. we got them for the kids to learn about them and learn how to take care of them and also so the kids can experience fresh eggs like i did when i was small. any help on how to make one will be greatly appreciated it only gets cold her close to december thru feb only once in a blue moon does it get below 32 degrees here. when it get cold i plan on putting a heated lamp in the coop to keep them warm again thank you for the advice and any help you can give me.

Back
Top Bottom