Want To Buy: Chicks or pullets near Pittsburgh

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by itsazoo, Jul 8, 2008.

1. itsazoo

itsazoo Out Of The Brooder

Jul 6, 2008
    Western PA
    I'm starting a small rare (or at least unique) backyard flock. Looking for 1-2 each of the following breeds. Hens only.

Appenzeller Spitzhauben (also called German Spitzhaubens or Silver Spitzhaubens)
    Ameraucana (blue) or Easter Egger
    Faverolle (blue salmon)
    Wyandotte (silver lace)
    Delaware
    Hamburg (silver spangled)

Chicks 1 day -1 month old I can buy today.
    Chicks 1 month or older I can't buy for about a month. (Building a new barn by the coop and would rather wait till it's done to put the girls out there.)
    I'm not in a position to hatch eggs.

Willing to drive a bit to pick up if shipping isn't an option.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2008
    1 person likes this.
  2. itsazoo

Jul 6, 2008
    Western PA
    Did I fall in love with the hardest breeds to find or is this just a bad time of year for chicks? [​IMG] Should I just wait till our local Farm Show (country fair) and try to find local breeders there? Now that the decision has been made to GET chickens I'm anxious to get them so they can grow up a little before winter.

Can birds be shipped (overnight of course) even if they're older than 1 day?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2008
  3. allen wranch

allen wranch Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    San Marcos, TX
    The Appenzeller Spitzhauben is not recognized by the American Poultry Assn, and you probably won't find any breeders at the fair. They can be shown anyway, just can't win the big prizes. However, it is still a good idea to ask around as someone may own them.

You can ship birds older than chicks by mail, but it depends on the time of year. It is too hot right now, and too cold in the dead of winter.

Good luck. You will enjoy owning the magnificant breed.

BTW, the silver spangled are the only color in the US. Attempts have been made to get gold spangled eggs from Europe, but the hatch rate has been zero.

4. Shaffer

Shaffer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    Tamaqua, NE Pa
    Talonz,
    Did you ever go to the Uniontown, Pa swap meet that is advertised in the Poultry Press?
    I have considered going there maybe this fall. If I do I would have some Large Fowl in Double-tufted black Araucanas and hens to go with them. I also have black LF Amerauacanas and also Lavender ones. Should have trios and pairs if I go. I also will probably have some LF Sumatras with me from my friend. He may even send some EE type chickens along.
    Good luck in your search, HS

5. itsazoo

Jul 6, 2008
    Western PA
    What attracted me to Appenzellers first was how unique they look! They're hardy enough to handle PA winters (we get in the negative numbers around here sometimes) and from all I've read they do really well as free rangers. They seem perfect for us!

Thanks for the info!!! I didn't realize they weren't a recoginzed breed- that certainly explains the trouble finding them for sale. I found eggs on Ebay from ONE seller, if all else fails I'll go that route & keep my fingers crossed that I get mostly hens.

They have SO many beautiful color varieties, it's a shame we can't get them here. [​IMG]

6. itsazoo

Jul 6, 2008
    Western PA
    Quote:Ooohhh NO I didn't even know about this (being newly chicken crazy)! I'll have to look into that. Thanks!!! [​IMG]

7. itsazoo

Jul 6, 2008
    Western PA
    I don't wanna wait till September/November when that show is to buy chicks. [​IMG] Would be good to go for information though!

8. brandywine

brandywine Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2008
    Western PA
    Hi Talonz --

I just got Wyandottes, EE's and Delawares from McMurray, but don't have any extras. Sorry -- wish I could help.

The Butler Farm show is at the end of the month, and is a good agricultural fair -- I am hoping to find some guineas there.

I'd like to know more about this swap meet near Uniontown in the Fall.

9. itsazoo

Jul 6, 2008
    Western PA
    Well it's starting to look like I'll be buying everything but the Spitz from Meyers. They do small orders now & are a bit cheaper and CLOSER to me than MPC. I'd really hoped to buy local but I'm not having much luck and don't want to be starting chicks much later than, well, now. As far as the 'Spitz go, I haven't the foggiest idea where I'll get those... I've been all over the web and have found very few hatcheries that have them, and then only eggs. Guess I'll ask around at the Farm Show & keep my fingers crossed.

10. allen wranch

allen wranch Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    San Marcos, TX

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by