Want to Buy Live Meal worms (TN)

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by linebacker, Dec 1, 2008.

1. linebacker

linebacker Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2007
    North West Tennessee
    I would like to buy live meal worms to start my own bins. I had rather give my money to a BYC member than some wholesaler. From what I have been able to gather from the Internet the cool weather should not hurt them during shipping.

Thanks
    Brad

2. chickenma

chickenma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    I just started my meal worm bin last month.
    They turn into little buggs already and I 'm waiting for them to lay the eggs so I can start feeding my chickens some meal worms.
    I bought 2 tubs of mealworm at the petstore and went from there.
    There are a lot of site on the internet that tells you how to start.
    It goes pretty well with my bins.
    Goodluck. [​IMG]

3. needmorechickens!

needmorechickens! Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2008
    West TN
    Quote:I wanted to start a mealworm farm too, Brad....did you find any worms yet? Let me know how yours turns out.
    ~Rebecca

4. amazondoc

amazondoc Cracked Egghead

Mar 31, 2008
    Lebanon, TN
    Just go down to Petsmart. Unless you want to start with massive quantities....

5. spookyevilone

spookyevilone Crazy Quail Lady

Oct 5, 2008
    Minneapolis
    I have a mealworm farm and could spare you a few hundred to get you started, if you'd like. PM me or email at BYC username AT gmail.

-Spooky

6. spookyevilone

Oct 5, 2008
    Minneapolis
    Quote:UGH NO! Commercial petstore worms are dehydrated and halfway to dead by the time you open the package, not to mention overpriced. $5-6 for 100 worms? You've gotta be kidding me. I sell mine for $2.00/hundred and I raise mine in organic wheat/oat media with organic dry baby cereal for extra vitamins and fresh veggie and fruit scraps, when I sell them as bait. I'd offer them to BYC people for the cost of shipping 'em or do a trade.

-Spooky

7. amazondoc

Mar 31, 2008
    Lebanon, TN
    Well, it all depends on how grand one's mealworm raising plans are. [​IMG] I think $6 is a pretty good deal once you factor in cost for the worms AND cost for shipping.

How much do you usually charge to ship 100?

8. spookyevilone

Oct 5, 2008
    Minneapolis
    Quote:Depends on how fast you want them [​IMG] Priority mail flat rate is $4.80, but I'd strongly suggest buying more than 100 if you plan to pay that because in the flat rate box, I could fit several thousand plus the packing and bubblewrap. First class mail for a 6 oz package is about $2.00. I put 'em in empty yogurt containers.

If someone wanted just that few, I'd rather do some sort of trade or work some other deal out, because $3.50 almost isn't worth the PayPal fees [​IMG] I was just gonna send Linebacker some gratis, and still will if he wants them.

-Spooky

9. amazondoc

Mar 31, 2008
    Lebanon, TN
    Well if I run out of what I've already got, I'll definitely keep you in mind. It sounds like you're worth checking out!

10. spookyevilone

Oct 5, 2008
    Minneapolis
    Quote:Do that. I have many totes full of mealworms, and other totes full of redworms and compost. I have very few quail (..for now..) and they're all getting fat [​IMG]

I used to have sugar gliders, which is why I have a bizillion mealworms. I donate a lot of them to the wildlife rehab center, so shipping out a few to people on the forums isn't even going to put a dent in my supply.

-Spooky

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by