Want to buy more eggs but scared to

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Mandymooligan, Nov 9, 2011.

1. Mandymooligan

Mandymooligan Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2011
    Chino Valley, AZ
    I have had so many ruptured air cells and 0 hatches I feel like I am just burning money.[​IMG]

2. Melissa Rose

Melissa Rose Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2011
    South Texas
    Quote:I have had really good luck purchasing from Bargin - Nancy Rockinpaints - Nellie and Glenda - Charm1704 and Cj's Exotics. They package extremely well and you will get a pretty good hatch [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. RioLindoAz

RioLindoAz Sleeping

Jul 8, 2007
    Yuma, Arizona
    There's a breeder in every town. Locate one in yours and ask if they will give you some eggs for a test hatch.
    People in the chicken community will have no problem with this.

4. madamwlf

madamwlf Nevermore Acres

Aug 22, 2010
    Mount Airy, MD
    Quote:I have had really good luck purchasing from Bargin - Nancy Rockinpaints - Nellie and Glenda - Charm1704 and Cj's Exotics. They package extremely well and you will get a pretty good hatch [​IMG] [​IMG]

x2

5. billiejo21

billiejo21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2011
    Iowa
    I think shipping does play a part in your hatching...but buy from a good breeder, who has good, healthy birds and you at least have a chance!! I'm hatching some brown red cochins, at least half of the 8 had ruptured cells. I let them sit 24 hours, and then put them on a automatic turner...so far 4 have hatched, two zipping and the other 2 are pipped...I am by no means a hatching expert...but I say DON'T GIVE UP!!!! [​IMG]

6. Mandymooligan

Mar 18, 2011
    Chino Valley, AZ
    I think most of it has to do with distance. I have had good luck buying from Ros at LuckyPickens and that is it! That lady knows how to pack some eggs. But she is not waaaay too far. The rest have been 99% ruptured aircells and zero hatches which I am not blaming the breeder I am blaming the PO. I am wanting to try some other breeds but the ones I am interested in seem as far away as they can be.[​IMG]
    I am whining aren't I? [​IMG]

7. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    You know you want to, I said the same thing, then the bug hit me, and I've been buying eggs left and right and I'm happy if I only get one or two. I hope you join in again.

8. Mandymooligan

Mar 18, 2011
    Chino Valley, AZ
    Quote:I am not giving up, I am watching for closer eggs but not having much luck. When I see some closer in I will try again.

9. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    [​IMG]

10. Hot2Pot

Hot2Pot Fox Hollow Rabbitry

Feb 1, 2010
    West TN
    I don't think proximity matters. I have had eggs break shipped from the same state, and eggs from California come in good shape. Packing is a factor, as well as how the package gets treated. I have had people buy eggs from me in quite a few states, with pretty good hatch rates . When I first started buying eggs, none of them hatched. Many arrived broken. But I persisted and am getting better results now. I just adore hatching!:)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by