Want to buy my first incubator?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by FrizzleFreak, Jan 4, 2009.

1. FrizzleFreak

FrizzleFreak Songster

Looking for something under $100. Doesn't need to be really big, probably only gonna hatch ten chicks at a time.
    Anybody know some good brands? (and what's the difference between still air and forced air?)
    Basically, I need an incubator tutorial. Normally Silkie hens can do the job for me, but an incubator would be cool. [​IMG][​IMG]
    Thanks

2. BirdBrain

BirdBrain Prefers Frozen Tail Feathers

May 7, 2007
    Alaska
    Why don't you try building one. You can build one that holds a temp rock solid, with a fan and turner for a LOT less than 100 dollars. I just made one.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=1392263#p1392263

Forced air is better as the temps through out the bator are more consistant. A turner is not necessary, but a very nice addition and a lot easier if you are in a hurry. Check out the Learning Center link at the top of the page.

3. FrizzleFreak

FrizzleFreak Songster

AHHH! CARPENTRY! SCARY!![​IMG]
    I would be really nervous about that. I would much rather buy something, so that if my chicks don't hatch that's one less variable to deal with.

4. BirdBrain

BirdBrain Prefers Frozen Tail Feathers

May 7, 2007
    Alaska
    I suppose that if there were wood involved that it would be carpentry, but PVC, wires and styrofoam are pretty nonthreatening. I know you could do it!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: