want to buy silkie chicks

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by frenchhazel, Apr 13, 2009.

1. frenchhazel

frenchhazel Out Of The Brooder

Jun 30, 2008
    Cadillac, MI
    I am wanting to buy a couple of silkie chicks(no roosters)I am wanting blue, black, partridge, or buff. I have looked online and cannot find small orders. I am only wanting two.

2. RoosterRehab97

RoosterRehab97 Chillin' With My Peeps

try my pet chicken.com. I think the miniature order is 3.

3. Chickenmaven

Chickenmaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2009
    Michigan
    I do not think you can buy sexed Silkies babies. A better option is to include your state on an ad here or post on Bestfarmbuys.com.

4. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

Silkies cannot be sexed until they are nearing 6 months of age, that being said, buying anything claiming to be "sexed" is a high risk gamble at best. Anyone claiming to sell 'sexed silkies' is ony selling an educated guess, so dont count on anything.

You're best bet is to find a breeder and buy 'started' birds that are already a few months old.

5. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Chris is right.... it's nearly impossible to sex a silkie so young. I've seen how the educated guesses go. I was told if you hold them so their feet are up, if the kick they are male, if they tuck their feet up they are female. Lets just say I have a rooster, but didn't think I was buying one! LOL [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by