WANT TO DUST FOR MITES...QUESTION

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Chickaroo!, Jul 8, 2008.

1. Chickaroo!

Chickaroo! Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2007
    I'm not sure exactly if this is the proper place for this post but anyway....I want to dust my coop/chickens for mites (just to be proactive). Is DE what I should use or something else?

2. spatcher

spatcher Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Virginia - Southside
  3. joebryant

joebryant Overrun With Chickens

I've been using Sevin for mites on other birds' nests for years. I've studied it, and I know that it's safe.
    I'll soon spray the coop, the seven-week-old chicks, and the silkie hen with Sevin. I'll use 21 percent licquid Sevin at the rate of 4 tablespoons per gallon of water and spray everything with it. I could also can use 50 percent wettable powder at the rate of 3 tablespoons per gallon of water, but licquid Sevin does the best job for me.
    I am into "organic", but I will use two chemicals around here, Sevin and a generic for RoundUp (glyphosate). I know that there are people who wouldn't drink H2O if someone called it a chemical, but...

4. Chickaroo!

Dec 27, 2007
    Do you know if DE has a certain shelf life? Like if I got a 50 lb. bag, will it last for months?

5. spatcher

Apr 13, 2008
    Virginia - Southside
    It has lasted for millions of years, do the math LOL.

6. spatcher

Apr 13, 2008
    Virginia - Southside
    Using sevin yourself is one thing but please do not imply to others that it is safe to use. The company itself does not recommend it be used on chickens! See www.householdproducts.nlm.gov/cgi-bin/household/brands?tbl=brands&id=19022002 People that do use it throw their eggs out for a week after using it. I think its about as unorganic as you can get, but also understand that a lot of people use it including Mods.

7. Ms. Lewis Rich

Ms. Lewis Rich Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2007
    I just found mites on one of mine and went to Tractor Supply and bought Garden and Poultry Dust was getting ready to dust them they live indoors was going to take them outside to dust. Thats wrong right? Need help.

8. Chickaroo!

Dec 27, 2007
    Spatcher... [​IMG] Duh, I didn't even think about that!

9. joebryant

joebryant Overrun With Chickens

Quote:BULL! The company itself has not tested it on chickens; therefore, it cannot recommend it. That's the only reason.
    SOME people might throw their eggs out... That's not even worth discussing.
    I don't care if you don't like it or if you "think its about as unorganic as you can get...", but save your blownup comments for someone else, i.e., don't demand that I do anything to suit you.

10. Chickaroo!

Dec 27, 2007
    I just ordered some from freshwaterorganics, because it seems like a good price/deal for a 50 lb. bag. What does everyone use to spread it?

Oh yeah, and how exactly do you dust your chickens with it?

Last edited: Jul 8, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by