Want to get a second rooster, what is best.

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by jimgunn, Oct 5, 2012.

1. jimgunn

jimgunn Out Of The Brooder

Aug 19, 2012
    We already have a rooster, he is top of the pecking order and has 8 hens. We have a hen sitting on 8 eggs that are due to hatch in 5 days. We are planning on keeping all hens that hatch to increase flock size and are also thinking of keeping one of the probably many cockerels that hatch. The current rooster is very small and slender so we were wondering if the size of the rooster we choose to keep will influence them fighting often or not? (two roosters the same size is a fight worth fighting) or (If one is a lot bigger it will bully the smaller) or should we just pick the one that seems the most laid back. Any advice would be great.

2. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    I would pick the most laid back. But some will say to pick the largest, reason being the bigger he is, the more likely he'll be able to protect better. Not that one can stop a wolf, but I think you see what I'm saying. Also he'll throw bigger chicks, most likely. They will fight regardless, but rarely are such fights fatal and once it's decided, it's decided and they likely won't fight after that much.

3. jhamblin

jhamblin Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2011
    I would just let nature take its course. I have some cockrels that I've raised up with my rooster that a hen hatched out and I haven't had any problems... What kind are yours?

4. jimgunn

Aug 19, 2012
    Thanks for the advice. They are all mixes of everything. The rooster is a barred rock/cream legbar cross, and the eggs are from light sussex, golden comet, speckledy (marans cross) and barred rock hens so going to get a big mix. The roo only has one barring gene in him so hoping we will get half and half with colour of the chicks.

5. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Pick the boy you like the best; larger is good, so is faster feathering; NO people aggression is most important. Mary

6. jimgunn

Aug 19, 2012
    Haha. Yes, I guess a friendly one is most important, just worried that he might be bullied.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by