1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Want to get geese, what do your recommend?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by crazylilchick, Feb 22, 2008.

1. crazylilchick

crazylilchick Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2007
    Missouri
    I currently have 11 chickens and I want to get 3 geese. I'm thinking 1 male 2 female. I don't want to annoy my neighbors though. I don't have any roos in order to keep the noise down and I live on 2 acres. What breed of geese do you recommend that are known for being quiet and friendly. Are there breeds that I should avoid? Where should I order from. The chickens came from McMurry and were very healthy.

2. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    I like taloluse geese but I have never had any.
    Thanks
    Henry

3. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    Metzer is probably the best for waterfowl, if you cannot afford Holderread or Sandhill.

http://www.metzerfarms.com/

http://www.holderreadfarm.com/

http://www.sandhillpreservation.com/

As far as I'm aware, though, there are no 'quiet' breeds of geese. My neighbors love the sound, but we are in the country. Personally, with a couple acres, I'd probably go with Pilgrims. Handsome, medium sized birds, with grey females and white males. It makes a very nice constrast.

4. deeszoo

deeszoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2007
    I love my Chinese, but they talk constantly! And they can be aggressive, especially to strangers. They are very territorial. These are probably not qualities you are looking for.

DeAnna

5. fowltemptress

fowltemptress Frugal Fan Club President

Jan 20, 2008
    Maybe this is too late, but geese pair up, and it would probably be best to get two or four geese instead of three.

6. lostinthewoods

lostinthewoods Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2007
    Hayward, Wisconsin
    I have 2 embden, 1 white chinese crested, and 3 toulouse...I love them very much but they are noisy and not very friendly. They are great "watch dogs" though. The white geese don't fly too far but the toulouse can fly over the pole shed. I was told that they like to be in groups of 3 or more. Good luck!

7. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    Quote:That's not exactly true. They tend to 'pair' in trios with one gander per two geese. We don't call them geese here, though, we call them "gooses".

8. fowltemptress

fowltemptress Frugal Fan Club President

Jan 20, 2008
    I've never seen any that did anything other than pair up, with odd numbered groupings leaving out one lonely goose. Is it breed specific whether they're in trios or pairs?
    Sorry, but using the word "gooses" grates like nails on a chalkboard. I'll stick with "geese" and make all my past English profs happy [​IMG]

9. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    As noise is a consideration.. I would recommend visiting someplace that has adult geese and judge the noise level yourself to see if it would be too risky or not. As someone said, geese in general are very talky, but um, they can be loud too.

Ever heard the story of the geese that saved Rome(or some ancient city)? Yeah. LOL

As for pairing, well a lot of people told me that.. but from what I saw of mine, it seemed they might have favorites they stay with most of the time.. but come breeding season none of them would pass up an opportunity with anybody.

10. LinckHillPoultry

LinckHillPoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    I reccomend pilgrims and sebastopols, and embdens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by