Want to give a big THANK YOU

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Suess hens, Mar 28, 2009.

1. Suess hens

Suess hens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Altadena, CA
    I just went through my first attempted hatch (failed, but I did an egg-topsy to see why--courage from many of you). I wanted to thank everyone that answered my questions and worried posts!!!! You helped me through many painful hours...and all of this was with a classroom of kids passing through everyday (5 classes to be exact).
    I did not give up! Because of the support on here, I have now put together a homemade incubator and am going to try again. Hopefully will have eggs in in the next few days. I am going to do this hatch from home, thinking I may do a webcam of it for my students. But i will be able to ensure temperature better from here, and any other outside influence.
    Again, Thank you everyone for your support!!!!

2. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    [​IMG]

3. hatchcrazzzy

hatchcrazzzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2007
    kemp texas
    [​IMG]

4. AngieChick

AngieChick Poultry Elitist

I am so glad you are going to try to hatch again. It sounds like the first attempt was your test run, and now you have worked out the kinks. Keep us updated on your next hatch.

5. walkswithdog

walkswithdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    Professional hatcheries blow back to back hatches. It's not an easy thing, sometimes it just goes wrong. With every batch you learn and get closer. There's never a guarantee and keeping with it is all you can do.

In a way a first dissappointment teaches a lot more, if painfully, than a first success. You have to think about it, you have to learn, to seek answers, to understand more, to do things that take some courage, like investigating the failed eggs.

If your five classes of kids learn to learn, to be patient, to try again when they've failed, then wow what a wonderful lesson to learn. So many leave high school with no idea that mistakes and failures are just supposed to be learning experiences and NOT time to give up and quit.

You are teaching them a hugely important thing. Thank you, those five classes of kids will be easier to live with in the long run and better prepared for actual life because nobody succeeds all the time, not even the pros.

You'll be better at hatching in the long run for your failures.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by