want to hatch a companion

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by mickeymushroom, Jun 20, 2017.

1. mickeymushroom

mickeymushroom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2013
    Hello friends! I have not been on forum for a few years as I read the magazine cover to cover, however, now, I need help. I own chickens and two one year old Embden geese. One was put to sleep yesterday so thinking the other needs a companion. Anyone have luck sneaking a fertile egg under a goose with fake eggs too? maybe have her hatch a friend. I am skeptical of bringing in a new goose for fear of aggression amounst chickens, cats, dogs, and the existing goose. Not to mention bringing in disease.

2. rIrs roost

rIrs roost Sir Crows A lot Premium Member

Aug 20, 2015
    Rockingham NC
    I know.nothing about geese. Im assuming they go broody like chickens? Im posting hoping that someone with experience will chime in. Is she sitting now? Also you may want to post on sallys thread on hatching. @BantyChooks may be able to post a link or help you? I'm not sure how to post a link now.

3. mickeymushroom

mickeymushroom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2013
    Thank you. I will check it out! Yes, goslings do go broody, but she isn't at the moment as she is done laying. However, I was thinking she might again once I put eggs under her

rIrs roost likes this.
  4. rIrs roost

rIrs roost Sir Crows A lot Premium Member

Aug 20, 2015
    Rockingham NC
    I do know as you probably already know that leaving eggs in the nesting box with chickens sometimes does mske them go broody. Im would think geese would be the same way. If so id ssy go for it. Ive heard of chickens hatching ducks also. Wonder if they could also hatch a goose egg? If so that could be another option.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by