WANT TO HATCH EGGS BUT ant only hens

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by rivercitymadman, Oct 11, 2009.

1. rivercitymadman

rivercitymadman New Egg

Oct 8, 2009
    mason city
    want to raise some cheeks for egglaying where do i get eggs and how do u know if they are just hens dont want a rooster new at this any help would be great

2. CHIC

CHIC Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2009
    Roanoke
    Well, you definately won't be able to tell until they hatch..... You would probably be better off buying chicks that are already sexed. Its very hard for an amatuer...leave it to the professionals.

3. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Quote:There is no way to know what sex is going to hatch out of the eggs. It's roughly 50/50 pullets and roos .

There are many people here on BYC that sell hatching eggs. Your best bet would be to post a "want to buy" in the WTB section with what breeds you are interested in. Also check out the auction section to see what is for sale here.

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Sorry, there is no way to hatch ONLY hen eggs. Best to buy sexed pullets (even though even with pros, there is margin for error).

5. CHIC

CHIC Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2009
    Roanoke
    Where are you located? I have a couple of little girls I could possibly spare.

6. rivercitymadman

rivercitymadman New Egg

Oct 8, 2009
    mason city
    i am in iowa and we are no where near ready for chicks we are starting to build a pallet coop for them so we will not be looking to get any untill next spring what would be a good cold weather bird that lays white eggs( wife werided out buy brown eggs)

7. farmin'chick

farmin'chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    Rocky Mount VA
    My grandma did fine in Michigan with white leghorns (white eggs) and white rocks (light brown eggs). The Buckeye was bred for cold weather in Ohio, but they lay brown eggs.

8. G Wiz Ranch

G Wiz Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    Lompoc, CA
    Too bad about the brown egg issue. Thats weird. You could get Sex Link eggs, hatch them and cull the boys right away when they hatch.

9. justmeandtheflock

justmeandtheflock Overrun with ducklings :)

May 27, 2009
    NW NJ
    Quote:I have a silver leghorn and a brown leghorn that will both lay white eggs when they start. The silver is a bit small so I am guessing her eggs will be too but he brown is bigger and she is very petty. She isn't the friendliest bird but that sould change once she starts laying.

10. faykokoWV

faykokoWV Mrs Fancy Plants

Nov 4, 2008
    Cross Lanes, WV
    if you don't want rooster, don't hatch eggs.

Wait until spring, after Easter. Buy only sexed chicks, not straight run (straight run means they are not sexed)

The breed data base on this site can guide you to which breeds lay white eggs and the breeds' demeanor.

Depending on how many you want to get you can order from a hatchery online and your chicks will come in the mail.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by